The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Must I choose a project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
All my tasks are being put in the project "Miscellaneous". I try choosing "none", but they always show up as miscellaneous.

All tasks must be in a either a regular project or a single-action list, and because of this, a "Miscellaneous" single-action list is created automatically as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
All tasks must be in a either a regular project or a single-action list, and because of this, a "Miscellaneous" single-action list is created automatically as needed.
There's a third possibility: they can be in the Inbox. However, the default settings are such that assigning either a project or a context is enough to "promote" an action out of the Inbox. If it has a project, it goes to the project, and will appear in the No Context bin if no context has been assigned. If it doesn't have a project, then it is assigned to the default location for project-less actions, which is called Miscellaneous if you don't select something else.

I prefer the setting that says an action needs both a project and a context before escaping the Inbox because I'll often enter an action and a context well before I've worked out the project structure.

I'm guessing that Handycam might only be using the iPhone app, as they don't seem to have posted about OmniFocus anywhere but the OmniFocus for iPhone forum. That complicates matters a bit, because the only UI for changing these settings is in the desktop app. Normally, this would seem like an ideal opportunity to learn some more about the database format (in the hopes of being able to describe how to edit the file to set the option), but I'm trying to actually get some unpleasant work done today :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
There's a third possibility: they can be in the Inbox.
Very true. I was not considering the inbox when I wrote my response.