The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

lists converted to separate actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I have a list of items (a line break/return at the end of each item), is there a way to break this out easily/automatically to individual action items? This would make my life very simple after coming home from meetings or seminars/lectures with digital notes of lists of things to do.

Are you asking how to stuff your external list (in TextEdit, say) into OmniFocus as individual actions? If so, here's how:

Select the whole block of text, and do Edit->Copy to copy it to the clipboard
Go to OmniFocus, either the Inbox or a specific project where you want to paste the stuff. Click on the row selection handle (the dot to the left of the checkbox) of an existing action (make a blank one first if necessary), and then Edit->Paste will insert the contents of the clipboard as individual actions. If however you are editing the action where you paste, you'll get your list inserted into the text of that action, leaving you with a multi-line action name, which probably isn't what you want in most cases.

wow, this is pretty slick! gotta love the omni boys&girls of thinking this up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenp View Post
If I have a list of items (a line break/return at the end of each item), is there a way to break this out easily/automatically to individual action items? This would make my life very simple after coming home from meetings or seminars/lectures with digital notes of lists of things to do.
If you would like a degree of indenting of projects, actions and sub-actions, then you could write your notes in Taskpaper text format, and drop your text files on this droplet, which will import them into OmniFocus with the structure preserved.

Oh yes - thanks to both for your responses, but especially whpalmer4. That's exactly what I wanted to do - you (and of course the OF developers who thought to implement this feature) just made my life a whole lot easier :)