The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync OmniFocus With DropBox? [Not supported, use the free Omni Sync Server instead] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I already have a WebDAV server that's working fine, is there any advantage to using Omni Sync Server? Looks great, just think I've got mine handled with my FastMail WebDAV service...

Thanks,
Brad

If the alternate solution is working well, then at the moment there's not much difference. There have certainly been people who have encountered WebDAV installations that didn't get along with OmniFocus. At some point in the future there may be additional services offered by Omni (perhaps being able to mail actions to an address to get them into your database without having to have a Mac running Mail 24/7, for example); probably you would need to use their server to take advantage of that. Given they've committed to providing the basic sync service for free, not much disadvantage to using them, either.

I switched from syncing with MobileMe to Omni's free Sync Server and it has been great -- faster and more reliable in my limited testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
P.S. — Since this thread started, we've introduced our free Omni Sync Server. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in syncing with a free cloud server.
Great job with the sync server... I just used it to sync omnifocus across a Macpro, a macbook and an iphone. Very smooth transition.

I was using Dropbox before, but as Ken pointed out above, I had real problems with conflict-resolution when edits were done on two devices.

Dropbox support would be fantastic, because the omni sync server is incredibly slow from my iphone. Even the desktop version is slow when compared to, say, evernote.

Would really like to have a faster (free) option, because the omni server beta isn't cutting it for me.

doubletake: Most people find the Omni Sync Server quite fast. If OmniFocus syncing is slow for you, it may be that your data is not getting compacted properly. Please contact our support ninjas (omnifocus@omnigroup.com) to see if there's an issue that can be resolved.

I've been using my own WebDav server for a while now. Although I had signed up for the beta in the beginning I had never actually cut over.

I just did and I have to admit that the OmniSync server is blindingly fast compared to my WebDav share, especially on the iPhone and iPad!

I'm sorry I waited so long to try it. Good work guys! You continue to impress.

Last edited by Vramin; 2011-08-09 at 08:34 AM..

Quick question on the Sync Server: I have a very different database locally on my Macbook Pro, i.e. I went away from using the Omni server and am now coming back. How do I tell OmniFocus (or the server) to take my laptop's database as truth and blow away what the server has?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgottlieb View Post
Quick question on the Sync Server: I have a very different database locally on my Macbook Pro, i.e. I went away from using the Omni server and am now coming back. How do I tell OmniFocus (or the server) to take my laptop's database as truth and blow away what the server has?
Under the File menu, there's a "Replace Server Database..." menu item - that item contains the feature you seek. ;-)

(And thanks for the kind words, vramin; you're gonna make us blush!)