The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using MailTags With OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A customer pointed out in their support mail that there's a fair amount of discussion of using MailTags with OmniFocus, and the MailTags site has a 'Works Great With OmniFocus!' graphic on it, but there's very little information to actually get someone started, or to communicate why you'd want to use them together. This seems like something we should probably remedy.

Now, I must confess I don't actually use MailTags, so I can't go into a much detail, but I bet there are folks on the forum that can. Many of the items in this post were cribbed from various posts on the forum. Special thanks to Curt Clifton and Rob Lewis. ;-)

Here is what I do know:
  • MailTags costs $29.95, and is available at http://www.indev.ca/MailTags.html
  • One of the main benefits of MailTags is the fact that it adds support for 'message:' URLs that, when clicked, take you to that specific message in Mail.app. (Apple added a similar feature to Mail in 10.5, but for folks running 10.4, this is quite handy.)
  • MailTags adds a tagging panel to incoming and outgoing messages. You can assign a Project, Keywords, Priority, Due Date, etc. It integrates with iCal, and supports both AppleScript and SpotLight.
  • With MailTags installed, using our Mail-Clip-O-Tron will add a link to the sender and back to the mail message to the note field of the action we create for you. If you've used MailTags to flag the message, to set a due date, or assign a project to the message, that information will be added to the appropriate fields in OmniFocus. (Note that we'll assign projects that already exist in your OF database, but we won't create a new project; we didn't want to clutter the database up.)

Take it from here, forum-folks!

Last edited by Brian; 2008-03-18 at 01:58 PM..

I can't seem to get any of the nifty integration going (projects, due-dates, etc.) with the Leopard version of mailtags. The quick add clipping just comes up with no data and goes to my OF inbox.

I realize mailtags Leopard is just a beta, but I'm not missing something am I?

i have had the same problem. Any help in getting omnifocus to recognize mail tags projects and keywords would be really helpful.

If I remember correctly, yes, there are some bugs in the leopard version of MailTags.

I'm just planning on waiting it out until MT goes out of Beta and hope that the integration returns in future versions. It really would be nice, but as I use OF it doesn;t have as much utility fo me now.

I am not able to make this work either. Any ideas guys?

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
I can't seem to get any of the nifty integration going (projects, due-dates, etc.) with the Leopard version of mailtags. The quick add clipping just comes up with no data and goes to my OF inbox.

I realize mailtags Leopard is just a beta, but I'm not missing something am I?
Make sure on Omnifocus Clipping preferences that Mail with MailTags is ABOVE Mail for Mac OS X 10.5

or disable "Mail for Mac OS X 10.5" clipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorr@indev.ca View Post
Make sure on Omnifocus Clipping preferences that Mail with MailTags is ABOVE Mail for Mac OS X 10.5

or disable "Mail for Mac OS X 10.5" clipping.
Thanks, that worked for me. however, it won't automatically put it in the project (but rather the Inbox only) unless I give it a context.

J.

What settings do you have in the "Inbox Processing" section of OmniFocus' 'Data' preferences?

ah subtle. Missed that one - thanks.

You do need one more choice - process items with either a Project OR a Context.

j