The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Having trouble Editing an org chart Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just purchased OmniGraffle Pro so that I could stop loading Visio in a virtual machine.

The first thing I did was to load an existing org chart that I need to make a bunch of changes to. Importing the Visio document went perfectly. Updating labels is no problem, moving boxes is a piece of cake. Creating and updating connectors is making want to blow my brains out.

There doesn't seem to be a wait to easily connect the boxes. If I try to move a connector it either disconnect from the boxes it was connected to, or creates a new connector and gets some odd shape. If I create a connector, it either exits into the box (if I choose the bottom of the box) or just refuses to attach to the box at all.

And god help me if I select "Automatic Layout", which instantly takes all elements of my orgchart and puts them equally spaced across the center of the screen.

Any pointers as to who to create an org chart would be forever apprciated. I would rather update the one I have, but I will take whatever advice I can get.

Thanks, Michael

It's probably going to be most helpful if you can send the document you're having trouble with to us at our OmniGraffle support address.

In general, with the line tool selected, you should be able to just click on one of the shapes you want to connect and then drag to the other to connect the shapes. Some documents make general cases not as useful, though. ;-)

Based on what the automatic layout tool is doing for you, it sounds like your shapes aren't actually connected. That would produce the behavior you're describing.