The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus URI Handler (create tasks via URL) [See Omni note on pg 5!] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is absolutely excellent.

Thanks a lot iNik

You may want to check whether Firefox has assigned the OF URI Handler as the appropriate application for x-omnifocus URLs. Go to the Applications tabs of your Firefox Preferences and search for "x-omnifocus." Make sure it exists and that it's set to the right app, and isn't set to "ask" or some other program.

THAT did it!

I went to Preferences->Applications and found x-omnifocus. The 'Action' was set to Firefox. When I changed it to the URI Handler, both 'Send Page to OF' and 'OF Quick Entry' (my bookmarklets) worked as expected. Hopefully, this little hiccough will help a few people in the future.

NOW I am happy!

Just one more little Q: After using one of these bookmarklets, the new entry is created in OF, but the active app remains Firefox. So, I use one of these, and then have to switch to OF. Is there any way to have OF become the new active app upon using this action?

Thanks again for following up, Nik.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by sawxray; 2009-01-26 at 06:22 AM..

N.B. for latecomers like me: The Omnifocus URL scheme has apparently changed from "x-omnifocus:" to simply "omnifocus:". You'll need to edit that in the bookmarklet to get it working - but it works great otherwise w/OF 1.6.1!

Both the QuickEntry and the regular OF bookmarklet (with the "x-" change) bring OF to the fore, but don't create a task. Any ideas?

I wonder if the Quick Entry window is opening off-screen somehow.

If you open Quick Entry from the menu in OF (Window → Show Quick Entry), does it appear? If not, does that menu item at least change to "Hide Quick Entry"?

Curt

No, the QE window is not opening off screen.

Window/Show QE shows the QE window

Quote:
Originally Posted by morren View Post
Both the QuickEntry and the regular OF bookmarklet (with the "x-" change) bring OF to the fore, but don't create a task. Any ideas?
Are you using Firefox? I am and I think that the last update broke these shortcuts.

Yep. I'm on FF 3.5.2.

Would be cool to fix this. Plus I imagine it could be used with the new "send to" function in Google Reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morren View Post
I'm experiencing a similar issue after updating to OF 1.7. Since I did not observe this behavior using the previous stable version of OF and Firefox 3.5.2, I did not make the “x-” change to the bookmarklet. I have now made the “x-” change.

Triggering the QuickEntry bookmarklet brings the OF application to the fore, but does not open the QuickEntry window. The File menu displays “Show Quick Entry”, so it is not opening off-screen. When I trigger the QE window using the menu item or shortcut, however, the web page has been added as a task. Clicking “Save” then adds the task to OF.

The “Send page to OF” bookmarklet produces the error message “Malformed URL:”, followed by the bookmarklet code. The web page is not added to OF as a task.

OSX 10.5.8
OF 1.7
Firefox 3.5.2

Despite the change in OF's url scheme (mentioned above), I've reverted the url in the bookmarklets from “omnifocus” back to “x-omnifocus”. The Send Page to OF bookmarklet functions properly now—the page is sent to OF and FF remains in the fore.

The Send Page to OF QuickEntry continues to function as I described—the Quick Entry window is not opened and OF is brought to the fore. Opening the QuickEntry window shows the page and clicking Save adds it as an action to OF. As I recall, prior to FF 3.5.2 and/or OF 1.7.1, using the OF QE bookmarklet opened the QE window, displaying the web page as an action ready to be saved to OF.