The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus and Mac User Interface Conventions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just returned to OF after about a year of not using GTD and I'm keen to resume activity. This topic interests me because I always hate being forced to use the mouse - for anything. I just hate it! When a program has plenty of keyboard shortcuts, as long as you take the time to learn them you can get very efficient - but if you then occasionally have to stop, lift your hands, place a hand on the mouse, move it to the right point on the screen, click, go back to the keyboard and carry on - then for me it seriously impacts efficiency.

This is something I don't like in OF. As far as I know there is no way to switch focus to the inspector, for example, without using the mouse. Also, there seems to be no way to "Save" items in the quick entry box without actually clicking on "Save".

I wish these gaps (of which there are admittedly few) could be closed by providing keyboard shortcuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macronencer View Post
Also, there seems to be no way to "Save" items in the quick entry box without actually clicking on "Save".
How about Command-S?

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
How about Command-S?

-Dennis
Wow. OK, thank you! You've just reduced the stress in my life :)

Guess I should re-read the manual. I sometimes rely a little too much on intuition after a while, even though I generally read manuals when I start using something. I wouldn't have thought of Command-S because it's usually for saving files.

I still find the mouse-only access to the inspector annoying and I've mentioned that before, I think, a year or so back - but actually I've found that's a problem common to many Mac applications. This "inspector is a different window and can't be reached via keyboard" attitude is not helpful. I'd like to be able to change ALL action attributes, including repeat modes etc., with keyboard only. If that's possible, please enlighten me, and I'll owe you several drinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macronencer View Post
I'd like to be able to change ALL action attributes, including repeat modes etc., with keyboard only. If that's possible, please enlighten me, and I'll owe you several drinks!
Wish I could help (I certainly could use a drink right now :-), but I don't have a solution. Some of the functionality of the inspector can be replicated by adding columns to your outline, but the repeating options aren't among them. I don't think you're the only one looking for this capability either.

-Dennis