The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Export to PDF/Email Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Guys,

I cant figure out how to export my task lists and notes from the ipad app to email or pdf, I'm pretty sure this thing must have it considering how pro/expensive it is. Could someone help me out?

Thanks,
Jon

Nope. Can't do it. Only one task at a time.

Which pretty much makes OF iPad really hard to use professionally.

Twice in the last 2 weeks I've needed to export a Project as PDF for my developer to have. I've had to wait until I could go home to my Mac, sync, and then generate a PDF from OF Desktop and then mail that.

"oh shoot. I updated my list on the plane with my iPad, but I can't export the Project in any meaningful way for all my meetings tomorrow because my business machine is Windows and I didn't bring my extra OF Desktop machine in my bag".

Sure, several of you will say I'm dumb for one reason or another. $40 should get me the ability to export a project as an e-mail or PDF.

Little things like this are growing more irritating as my use of OF iPad/iPhone continues.

There appears to be no limitations of iOS that prevent this and Omni has demonstrated they can send single items in e-mail.

Feature request sent and added to the existing feature request vote. But what gives? Get on it already.

No doubt you won't appreciate this suggestion, but you can email screenshots. View the project to be sent in portrait mode, take screenshot(s) by pressing both hardware buttons simultaneously, go to the Camera Roll in the Photos app and mail the images.

Yes, they could certainly implement PDF export. The question is, is that the best possible use of the limited development resources? I spend most of my OmniFocus time on the iPad, and while I occasionally do encounter scenarios like this where I'm forced to use the Mac to get data out in the most convenient form, most of the time I find myself wishing "I wish I could do XYZ!" it is for different values of XYZ. I agree, it sucks to be the one in a jam with a must-have feature that is way down the list, but there's a good argument to be made for choosing to help the larger group of customers, and to address the needs which cannot be met at all over the needs which are inconvenient but not impossible.

I won't say you're dumb. It's a reasonable thing to want. What I will say is that you have yet to get all the software that you've purchased for your $40. I don't know what else you'll get, but I'm certain there's more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
Which pretty much makes OF iPad really hard to use professionally.

Twice in the last 2 weeks I've needed to export a Project as PDF for my developer to have. I've had to wait until I could go home to my Mac, sync, and then generate a PDF from OF Desktop and then mail that.

"oh shoot. I updated my list on the plane with my iPad, but I can't export the Project in any meaningful way for all my meetings tomorrow because my business machine is Windows and I didn't bring my extra OF Desktop machine in my bag".

Sure, several of you will say I'm dumb for one reason or another. $40 should get me the ability to export a project as an e-mail or PDF.

Little things like this are growing more irritating as my use of OF iPad/iPhone continues.

There appears to be no limitations of iOS that prevent this and Omni has demonstrated they can send single items in e-mail.

Feature request sent and added to the existing feature request vote. But what gives? Get on it already.
Exactly my problem only it's primarily for use with my employees as a means of delegation and followup.

This is a big usability issue.

J.

I've run into a couple cases in last month where I "Need" this feature :)

Yes, screen shot is work around, but not as elegant as printed project list.

I would buy OF now if you could export a list. PDF or a text list would suffice but nothing means I can't send my staff their to-do lists.