The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Style Preferences Bugs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know this has been discussed on the forum before, and I've sent feedback to Omni Group back in July (OG #304687). So I'm surprised to see that on the eve of the 1.5 release, we've still got some niggling bugs in the Style preferences. Cursory fiddling tonight revealed the following two issues:
  1. Using the OmniFocus defaults, the Style preferences pane claims action groups and all of the status-based styles are rendered in Helvetica 12 . However, in the main OmniFocus outline they are clearly being displayed as Helvetica 13.

I think they're supposed to be in Helvetica 13, but it doesn't inspire much confidence to see the preferences saying one thing and the app doing another. Maybe there's some kind of style inheritance thing going on here that is confusing the issue?

2. Changing action group styles in the preferences causes their disclosure triangles to disappear in the main outline. I thought we had this problem licked, but apparently some manifestation of it still exists.

So the question is: are we too late to get this straightened out before the 1.5 release? If so, how about 1.5.1?

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-11-05 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: spellin' errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Using the OmniFocus defaults, the Style preferences pane claims action groups and all of the status-based styles are rendered in Helvetica 12. However, in the main OmniFocus outline they are clearly being displayed as Helvetica 13.
Sorry, those styles actually don't start out with a font at all, they just have a font style which they apply to whatever underlying font already exists for an entry. The default user font in Cocoa is Helvetica 12, so the widget on the right is showing the modified version of that font.

Quote:
Changing action group styles in the preferences causes their disclosure triangles to disappear in the main outline. I thought we had this problem licked, but apparently some manifestation of it still exists.
We thought this was fixed, too—but if you know of a new way to encounter this problem, please let us know!

Quote:
So the question is: are we too late to get this straightened out before the 1.5 release? If so, how about 1.5.1?
These issues don't make 1.5 worse than the currently shipping 1.0.3 release, so they don't seem worth delaying the 1.5 release to try to address. But it's certainly not too late to look at them for 1.5.1 (which we've already started on).

Yep, the default font control is still very buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
The default user font in Cocoa is Helvetica 12, so the widget on the right is showing the modified version of that font.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification, Ken.

But I contend that the preferences UI is still a bit confusing in this regard. Perhaps there's some way the preference pane can indicate that no typeface has been chosen and that it will inherit from its parent and only use the Mac OS X default if there's nothing to inherit.

Right now, the preference pane suggests (at least to me) that the Mac OS X default of Helvetica 12 will be displayed. When, in reality, it seems to be inheriting Helvetica 13 from its "Action" parent.

Quote:
We thought this was fixed, too—but if you know of a new way to encounter this problem, please let us know!
Hmm, I thought I had seen this happen last night, but I'm now unable to reproduce it. Perhaps I was mistaken. Well, I'll keep an eye on it and report any strange behavior I encounter. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
But it's certainly not too late to look at them for 1.5.1 (which we've already started on).
Sounds good. I'm already looking forward to the next, next release. :-)

-Dennis

Quote:
But I contend that the preferences UI is still a bit confusing in this regard. Perhaps there's some way the preference pane can indicate that no typeface has been chosen and that it will inherit from its parent and only use the Mac OS X default if there's nothing to inherit.
Oh, no argument here! I'd like to fix that, just not for 1.5.

Quote:
This still occurs in 1.5rc2 as detailed in the thread referenced by Toadling in the initial post. To reproduce:
  1. In the Preferences Style pane, set the Action Groups style to default.
  2. Create an action group in Planning mode. Disclosure triangles by action groups are visible.
  3. Change the Action Groups style to a font other than the default.
  4. Switch to Context mode, then back to Planning mode. Disclosure triangles disappear and are only visible on mouseover.
  5. Reset Action Groups style to default.
  6. Switch to Context mode, then back to Planning mode. Disclosure triangles are visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
Switch to Context mode, then back to Planning mode.
That's what I was missing in my test. I was just changing the font without switching between planning and context modes.

kaijin, have you sent this as feedback to Omni Group just to make sure they see this?

-Dennis

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, no argument here! I'd like to fix that, just not for 1.5.
The style preview box is good for getting a general idea of what the style will look like, but I envision that when users are there in the preferences trying to set up styles for all the items, it'd be beneficial to have everything about the style listed out explicitly.

Maybe something along the lines of omnioutliner's style attribute inspector would be appropriate here. It could work this way: in the style preferences window, you'd click on an item in the table on the left, and in a box on the right you'd see the list of added styles which are currently applied to that item, with the little "x" to easily remove each.

Last edited by abh19; 2008-11-06 at 04:34 AM..

Quote:
kaijin, have you sent this as feedback to Omni Group just to make sure they see this?
I sent it when I initially diagnosed the bug. Doesn't hurt for others to report it though! More reports leads to greater priority for the bug.

Curt

Quote:
That's what I was missing in my test. I was just changing the font without switching between planning and context modes.

-Dennis
Yes, I have sent this as feedback for both the current build and previous builds.