The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Different UIs.. is it just me? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have OF for iphone, Mac and now also for iPad.. Is it just me, or does anyone else find the differnt UIs difficult to keep up with?:confused:

For instance... just one example - if I add a new task to the inbox on my iphone, with today as a due date, it shows up as orange and is sitting, really easy to spot, in the Due box as well as the inbox.. If I do the same with the Mac version, it is not visible in the Due window, unless it has been assigned a context etc. It is present and visible however in the iPad, in the forecast view.. which is, I guess, the part-equivalent to the Due view that iPad offers.

I love the iPad UI... I think I prefer it to the Mac version.. seems easier somehow. But I do find the idea that some tasks are and some tasks are not immediately visible, depending on which device I am in at the time a potential stress factor.. I ay forget which UI does/doesn't do what and miss something.

Does anyone know if there will be any move towards uniformity in the future, at least between the ipPad and Mac versions.. or am I the only person to find it tiring keeping a mental track of these three different interfaces...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
I have OF for iphone, Mac and now also for iPad.. Is it just me, or does anyone else find the differnt UIs difficult to keep up with?:confused:

For instance... just one example - if I add a new task to the inbox on my iphone, with today as a due date, it shows up as orange and is sitting, really easy to spot, in the Due box as well as the inbox.. If I do the same with the Mac version, it is not visible in the Due window, unless it has been assigned a context etc. It is present and visible however in the iPad, in the forecast view.. which is, I guess, the part-equivalent to the Due view that iPad offers.

I love the iPad UI... I think I prefer it to the Mac version.. seems easier somehow. But I do find the idea that some tasks are and some tasks are not immediately visible, depending on which device I am in at the time a potential stress factor.. I ay forget which UI does/doesn't do what and miss something.

Does anyone know if there will be any move towards uniformity in the future, at least between the ipPad and Mac versions.. or am I the only person to find it tiring keeping a mental track of these three different interfaces...?
Part of the problem is the extended gestation of OmniFocus for Mac 1.8, which is the release planned to make the desktop version behave more similarly to the behavior of the current iPhone and iPad apps. In particular, in response to the apparent widespread preference that Inbox items show up in the Due list, they do (though there's also a hidden option to turn off that behavior if you are of the more traditional mindset that items in the Inbox are not yet ready for action and shouldn't be cluttering up the active views).

You can try out the 1.8 sneaky peek versions by downloading a copy from http://www.omnigroup.com/products/om...oad/sneakypeek and taking it for a spin. Read the release notes, especially the earliest one (dated Feb 16, at the bottom of the file) to get an idea what has changed.

We would have seen 1.8 long ago if Apple hadn't upset the apple cart by bringing out the iPad!

No, it's not just you, Fiona. It has always puzzled me why the UIs for the same program are so different on different devices. I can understand that feature wise the programs can be different - at least for a while - but I really don't understand the huge differences in visual appearances and basic layout.

I have both OF and Things on MacBook, iPhone and iPad, and it some times feels like I'm using six different programs.

Relieved it's not just me... I have to confess it's driving me a little crazy..

Thanks also for the link to the sneaky peek.. I'm traveling just now, but will enjoy a look over the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
Relieved it's not just me... I have to confess it's driving me a little crazy..

Thanks also for the link to the sneaky peek.. I'm traveling just now, but will enjoy a look over the next few days.
It's no longer a sneaky peak but an official release now. I can see why it might be frustrating, but all three devices have different screen sizes and limitations; so, I don't think having the same UI is might not be so desirable. For instance, I can't imagine using OF for Mac in my iPhone or even using OF for Ipad in my iPhone either.

I was trying to "tap and hold to move" several items on my OF iPhone database this weekend and it wasn't working. ;-) Had to hit the Edit button in the top right.

Just a small example of UI confusion.