The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hyperlinked tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
HI- just started checking out OmniPlan, wondering if there's a way to put a hyperlink in a task so that one can click on the task and bring up a webpage/site etc.?
There are various meeting notes online for a project I'm working on, and I'd like to link directly to them via the task bars in the Gantt chart I'm trying to create.

Yes, if you edit the note for a task (<cmd>-' or Edit->Edit Note...) you can add a URL. If you type the URL text, you need to select it and ctrl-click to get the pop-up menu and choose Make Link to let the system know you want it to be a hot link, otherwise it will be treated as plain text.

Awesome, thanks much!

When I saw your thread title I thought you wanted to hyperlink to tasks themselves. I thought I'd just pipe up that we support that, because I'll bet a lot of people missed it.

The task context menu includes a "Copy As Link" item. You can copy that link into the notes of another task and use it as a quick way to hop to an anchor or sorts elsewhere in the file.

-Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bunch View Post
When I saw your thread title I thought you wanted to hyperlink to tasks themselves. I thought I'd just pipe up that we support that, because I'll bet a lot of people missed it.
I'd certainly missed that -- one of the hazards of a program you can use without reading the manual! Even cooler, I see that the links I get can be clipped into OmniFocus and OmniOutliner documents, even Safari does the right thing with them. As the links appear to work in both directions (I can put links to OmniFocus tasks in OmniPlan as well as vice versa), this feature plus the import/export support allows at least rudimentary integration so that I can plan big projects in OmniPlan and execute from OmniFocus. Thanks!

Hi,

There were some interesting things that I didn't realize in this thread. So, now I have some questions :)

When I right click on a task and choose 'Copy as link' I want to be able to actually embed this link in a web page (and populate the page by applescript).
I have not been able to see how the link is actually formatted, instead I just see the name and when I click it takes me to the right location. I am trying to figure out the format to use to create my own link. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, Is is possible to insert a link into the value of a custom field? We have a web based issue tracking system and it would be great to be able to have a hyperlink to the issue page directly out of the plan in a custom field.

Thanks!

The link is something like this:
omniplan://localhost/Volumes/Leopard/Users/lizard/Desktop/foo.omniplan/task/3

More details in the OmniPlan help. (Search for "URL".)

That's great! Is there a way to do my other question and have the display of a custom field be a hyperlink?

Not automatically. However, we use something like the following internally:

Code:
set BugURL to "http://bogusBugServer.com/"
tell front window of application "OmniPlan"
	set MyTasks to selected tasks
	set FirstTask to item 1 of MyTasks
	set MyData to custom data of FirstTask

set MyBugID to missing value
	try
		set MyBugID to |bug id| of MyData
	end try
	if MyBugID is not missing value then
		set BugURL to BugURL & MyBugID
	end if
	BugURL
end tell

tell application "OmniWeb"
	GetURL BugURL
end tell
In this example, you put the bug/issue id in a custom column named "bug id", and put the script in OmniPlan's toolbar. Then when you want to view the issue in the web browser, just select the task and click the toolbar button. (Obviously, you'll need to tweak it so it's creating the URLs the way you need them. And you can change the column from |bug id| to something else too.