The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Set Location from Mac? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How do I set the location of a todo item from my Mac? Can I only set location from my iPhone?

-Chris

You can set the context for an item on your mac (assuming you have the desktop version of OmniFocus). But the locations associated with contexts can only be specified on the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
You can set the context for an item on your mac (assuming you have the desktop version of OmniFocus). But the locations associated with contexts can only be specified on the iPhone.
That's silly. You ought to be able to enter an address or pick a contact's address on the mac.

J.

I was looking for this as well. Seems like an obvious thing to include. It would also be great if Actions could have locations, but I already posted about that :)

Yeah, you guys gotta add that at some point. Is there a bug tracker or feature request system I can submit stuff like this to? Less feature requests, but more bugs I'm finding. I know it's early, but I want to make sure you guys know about them so you can address them.

You're doing a great job, keep up the good work. Well worth $20.

-Chris

It may be the case that the location-finding code exists in the phone development kit, but not in the cocoa frameworks that the desktop application uses.

Ken would know better than I, but if that's the case, it's a whole lot more work to implement the feature for the desktop app. While it would be nice, it wouldn't be as widely used on the desktop. If we can't find your current location because we can't talk to the cell network, is the feature as useful?

I'm not saying that we wouldn't ever do it; I just want to point out that there may be non-silly reasons for it not being there yet.

Last edited by Brian; 2008-07-16 at 08:34 PM..

ee99ee, the best way to submit requests is to use 'send feedback' in the settings panel to send email to the support ninjas. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It may be the case that the location-finding code exists in the phone development kit, but not in the cocoa frameworks that the desktop application uses.

Ken would know better than I, but if that's the case, it's a whole lot more work to implement the feature for the desktop app. While it would be nice, it wouldn't be as widely used on the desktop. If we can't find your current location because we can't talk to the cell network, is the feature as useful?

I'm not saying that we wouldn't ever do it; I just want to point out that there may be non-silly reasons for it not being there yet.
I think it's just setting the location that would be useful so that when it syncs to your phone it is ready to go. Actually using the location feature to find nearby actions on the desktop would not be so useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
I think it's just setting the location that would be useful so that when it syncs to your phone it is ready to go. Actually using the location feature to find nearby actions on the desktop would not be so useful.
Exactly (if I'm understanding you correctly). I think the Omni guys misunderstood. I could care less about location with my laptop or desktop. I just want to be able to enter the location (address, zipcode, etc...) on the desktop and then have OF deal with the location when it gets to the iPhone. It is a bit tedious to have to enter all the locations on the iPhone.

J.