The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Task time handling Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just purchased OP and am working through a couple of projects and learning the software. What is the best way to assign time values to tasks in the following situation?

The task is to review a document. The review it self will take only 30 minutes, but when it is assigned to the person, they are told that they have a day to review it. I am confused, because if I say 30 minutes, then the project baseline will be off before the project starts. On the other hand, if I say 1 day, then that particular resource is tied up for an entire day (which is obviously not the case, since the task only takes 30 actual minutes).

Thanks for your input.
-Jarrett Kupcinski
Mission Pediatrics

Welcome to the forums, Jarret! If I'm understanding your question correctly, it sounds like the task in question requires 30 minutes of effort, and has an "end constraint" of the date for that deadline in question. You can set the end constraint in the Task Information inspector pane.

With those settings, the task will occupy 30 minutes of time, but can be scheduled at any point before the end constraint is reached. (Once any pre-requisite tasks are completed, of course.)

Does that help? If I misunderstood, let me know and I'll consult with someone that possesses more OmniPlan-fu than I. :-)

Thanks, Brian. This seems like it should work. I'll test it out for certain.