The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How Sneaky is the Peeky?.... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Its been a while since I've been seeing the updates to the 1.1 alpha..how is it?

I have the desktop version and want to get the iPhone one and have the round-trip sync. I was waiting until it at least went into beta or neared release but it looks like the alpha is continuing for a while. It is great that there is new builds always available but just wondering if its time to jump in. Thanks.

Frank

I find the alphas incredibly stable. I think it's only the file names that call them alpha's - everywhere else they are beta's I think.

I've had very few problems with the 1.1 Sneaky Peeks. And if there was, its usually fixed pretty quick with the next build.

They've worked great for me. Syncing with iPhone is wonderful. Go for it.

If you're syncing 2 machines with MobileMe, it's pretty solid.
If you've got 3 or more machines syncing, or you're using an alternate WebDAV server, there are still some issues. (We're working on the multi-machine issue. We can't directly work around some of the server issues.)

Hey Lizard,

Thanks for the advice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
If you're syncing 2 machines with MobileMe, it's pretty solid.
If you've got 3 or more machines syncing, or you're using an alternate WebDAV server, there are still some issues. (We're working on the multi-machine issue. We can't directly work around some of the server issues.)
Quick question....

Does three or more machines include the iPhone version? Or just macs. In other words, if I have 2 macs and an iphone is it pretty stable?

Thanks

Doesn't really matter what the devices are, AFAIK. If you go to the Show Clients display in the Sync preferences, and you see more than two clients, you'll encounter the problem. The only one I've knowingly encountered (with 3 Macs, 0 iPhones, and almost 8,000 entries in my data file) is that my data file continues to grow because right now the code that scrunches down the file apparently never thinks it is safe to do so. This is more of an issue if you have an iPhone in the mix. You can either use the CoalesceDatabase script posted elsewhere occasionally to do this process yourself, or stop syncing one of the Macs, which will get you down to 2 clients. Personally, I'd try running with 3 and running the script when the iPhone gets too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsailer@mac.com View Post
Does three or more machines include the iPhone version? Or just macs. In other words, if I have 2 macs and an iphone is it pretty stable?
Any 3 machines. 2 iPhones and 1 Mac, 2 Macs and 1 iPhone, 3 Macs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
If you've got 3 or more machines syncing, or you're using an alternate WebDAV server, there are still some issues.
To be clear, the primary issue with three or more machines is that unless they all sync regularly, OmniFocus can have trouble finding a time when they're all synced up, which means it has trouble finding a time that it can coalesce transactions in the database (also known as "smooshing"), which means that syncing can take longer and longer over time.

If all your systems do sync regularly it doesn't really matter how many are involved, which is why I've been syncing four systems for months without noticing this problem. (My home and work desktop machines are configured to always be awake, so the only two syncing systems which go to sleep are my laptop and phone—a small enough number that it's easy to get them in sync with the always-on desktops frequently.)

Ken and Lizard,

Thanks for the clarification. It really helps!!

Randy