The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Android [Very unlikely; certainly no plans in foreseeable future.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Have you tried exporting to HTML using the Mac app?
Ken,
The HTML export is poor at best. It does not transfer the relevant information that I have in the system.

I have project on Hold, projects that are in folders, Lists, etc...

But the export does not give me that flexibility.
Unfortunately I have fulled around with all these things and unfortunately my productivity is just spiraling down instead of up because I am playing with the system instead of doing tasks.

I can recommend that if you want to partner with a good Android development team with a GTD product already there, and under NDA provide all the information and advise to them to be able to take the data from the Webdav server.

I contacted what I consider the best GTD program on the Android (DGT GTD) and there is some interest in creating a sync. The person has a number of sync's already in place with Toodedo and others, if he has the information I am sure that he can charge for the SYNC and at the same time you can make the rest of your customers happy.

I understand that you have no desire to create such a program, but at the same time you might want to explore alternatives so that you do not loose customers to the other GTD programs.

Unfortunately I switched to one of your competitors after watching my productivity go down tremendously. I would be glad to return, but an Android version or sync of some kind is a MUST for me now after getting the Galaxy Note 2 (Phone / Mini Tablet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Ken,
The HTML export is poor at best. It does not transfer the relevant information that I have in the system.

I have project on Hold, projects that are in folders, Lists, etc...

But the export does not give me that flexibility.
Not quite sure what you were doing here. I opened OmniFocus, set the project selector filter to On Hold, did an export to HTML, and opened the resulting file in my browser. It gives a nice representation of my projects that are on hold, including showing their folder.

Yes, you would have to make separate files for your on hold projects, your active projects, context views, etc. if you want to view them separately.

whpalmer4,

Thank you for some of the ideas. I was just printing out directly and doing html export. Now I am modifying this a bit. I love OmniFocus, and will settle for export now trying a few things if I can automatically via AppleScript export named (perspectives) out to a dropbox folder to be sync'd to the phone.

Edit:
You get all the credit for the idea for this, got it ready and will post to the site here.

Script is OmniFocus-Print-toDropbox

Last edited by Yury; 2013-01-03 at 07:05 PM..

Dear Omnigroup and Omnifocus users,

I wanted to know if there is any kind of poll being kept of the number of users interested in an Android version of Omnifocus.

I find the portable Apple products overly expensive, especially the iPhone. I know I am not alone in that sentiment. I've used an iPod Touch as my pocket smart-device for the last few years, and have very recently upgraded my experience to an Android device (the Nexus 4). I is to replace my $30 Nokia phone and my iPod Touch. That catch for me is a lack of Omnifocus support on Android.

After extensive searching online I see I am not alone in this regard either. There appears to a significant number of people who want Omnifocus on Android. I see people who want to switch platform but feel they can't; people who have switched but now need OF support on their droid device and are scratching around for workarounds; and people who have switched but keep an iOS device in tow just to have OF on the go.

Surely this potentially represents a considerable market for Omnigroup and the Omnifocus product. Does it not? That's when I asked myself, "Just how many people are we talking about here?". I see this forum has no Poll feature (at least not that I could find). I wanted to post a poll and see what results came in over the coming months. OMNIGROUP: I am a tad surprised you folk are not polling for this market data yourselves. Or are you?

[Poll instructions removed, as they would result in posts that are against forum rule #2. -Brian]

Regards...

Last edited by Brian; 2013-02-15 at 10:08 AM..

Three things:

1) This is the wrong forum for this. You posted in the Mac forum.
2) This question has already been asked in that forum and there's an existing thread: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...t=8399&page=16
3) OmniFocus says it's not in the foreseeable future. It's their call; their hands are busy enough as-is to get their existing products out.

Merged new thread into existing one.

Luminosity, nothing's really changed since this post; we're not polling because it's not a market we want to get into. OmniFocus' file format is fairly self-documenting XML; if someone wants to make an Android OmniFocus-alike, they're welcome to do so, but it's not something we're going to work on in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Three things:

1) This is the wrong forum for this. You posted in the Mac forum.
2) This question has already been asked in that forum and there's an existing thread: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...t=8399&page=16
3) OmniFocus says it's not in the foreseeable future. It's their call; their hands are busy enough as-is to get their existing products out.
Hi CatOne. In my experience your tone comes across as unnecessarily harsh and cold. Although I can appreciate you must have felt justified in communicating with me in that way, from one forum member to another I wish to say it feels unnecessary to me.

It was not obvious to me which forum to post it in. Obviously there's no "Non-apple device" forum. I want to sync from my Mac to an Android device. So that Mac forum was, in my assessment, as appropriate as any other. It's been moved to the iPhone forum, which is fine with me. But is that any more relevant than the iPad forum? Or Mac forum? My point is, please tone down the critical attitude.

A thread from 2008 somehow didn't seem relevant to me her ein 2013, especially considering the massive shift in the market share of Android in that time. Although I can accept that this 2008 thread is THE thread for asking about porting to Android.

Yes, I agree, it is Omnigroup's call. I am not arguing with that. I am simply curious to know whether they have considered the potential market size an Android release (now, as opposed to 2008) would open them up to, and if so, I am curious to hear their thoughts on it. I'll read through this "android thread" and see if that perhaps satisfies my curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Luminosity, nothing's really changed since this post; we're not polling because it's not a market we want to get into. OmniFocus' file format is fairly self-documenting XML; if someone wants to make an Android OmniFocus-alike, they're welcome to do so, but it's not something we're going to work on in the foreseeable future.
Thanks for responding Brian. It's not a business decision that makes total sense to me, but hey as an Android user (aswel as iOS and OS X) I can see my view is potentially biased! Perhaps the next project to add to my OF list is "Learn how to code for Android" and "Create an app to parse OF xml data".

Someday/maybe. :-)

I started working on an android version on my own. Eventually I would plan to sell it on the app store. Until it is anywhere near a release there is still a FAR way to go.

I have a very early read only version of the app in the works and I will post something on my website as soon as there is any relevant progress.

http://rainer.4950.net

cheers
- Rainer

Last edited by rburgst; 2013-03-28 at 09:04 PM..