The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

web dav solution (non mobile me, non local web dav) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get my wife set up with OmniFocus for the iphone. I have an individual mobile me plan that is working very well, but I've spent the last 24 hours trying to upgrade mobileme to a family plan. There are broken links and non-existent phone support that are making it impossible to do so.

I've read about others using a local web dav, but her work computer is locked down and you need administrative privileges to set that up.

Can anyone recommend a low cost alternative?

Better yet, can we both put files on my mobile me?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I think, that there are different ways to get it to work.

First, you can set up a WebDAV Server on YOUR computer and sync your wives iPhone and Mac to that account (brilliant description for setting up at http://manas.tungare.name/blog/2008/...cus-to-iphone/).

Second, it should be possible, to sync to (and from) your iDisk, because the iDisk is - from a technical point of view - "just" a WebDAV disk. You should create an extra directory for your wive and put in the path at sync prefs "Advanced" in OmniFocus. It's something like davs://idisk.me.com/steve/Documents/yourWife or maybe https://idisk.me.com/steve/Documents/yourWife.
Then, you have to enter your credentials (username and password) when syncing for the first time (and store it in the keychain).

Both ways should work, but currently, for a lack of time, I can't test it.

Regards
Boris

P.S.: With that mobileMe problem: It worked for me like a charm. Logged into mobileMe (via me.com), went to accout (the person on a silver button), then to options and then add option ...

Any WebDAV based server should do, I maintain a small account with a host that I use to keep small files on, I used the WebDAV feature in the past to host private iCal calendars. Mine uses an SSL (HTTPS) link and a non-standard port number and still works on both the desktop and iPhone versions of OF. Synching isn't fast (I think is more of a DNS issue, especially on work wifi) but still works for what I need.

There are a number of third party web hosts that provide cheap service with WebDAV access if you wish to avoid the MobileMe hurricane right now. Box.net used to provide 1gb free with WebDAV access, but it doesn't look like if you sign up with an account right now that you'd have access to that, and I think they turned off secure access within the last year. If you're frequently on open/public wifis like I am, SSL is a must.

tomben, also on the forums, is (was?) providing free small accounts specifically for OF users, you might want to check in with him. Details in this thread: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8570

Thanks for the replies! My simplest solution for now was to create a new directory in my idisk for my wife. It seems like it is working.

I appreciate the feedback.

Steve

Has anyone had success setting up Box.net to sync with OmniFocus? I've used Box.net for iCal syncing for quite some time with great success. I have not, however, had success in syncing OmniFocus with Box.net. Would much prefer to go that route. I have weddav set up on my MacBook Pro and it was working great until I updated OmniFocus for iPhone to 1.02.

Haven't given up hope of getting it working again, but in the meantime it would be nice to be able to do it via Box.net and eliminate the local Mac WebDav issues.

Box's WebDAV implementation seems fuzzy at best to me.

A year ago they still supported SSL access, it looks like they've disabled that. Even when going thru a plain HTTP link I've never successfully copied a file up to Box using WebDAV on a Mac. Come to think of it, I haven't thru Windows either, I think I've only gotten stuff up to it using their Dashboard widget or thru the web.

Either way, there's plenty of other alternatives out there, I dunno how much I'd trust Box for regular synching.

I sent them a question yesterday about this. My question was around the support for WebDAV and specifically pointing out a desire to be able to sync OmniFocus via my Box.net account. Initial response was:

As of this time, we do not support webdav as a Box.net feature. Please let us know if you have any other questions regarding our service.

...to which I replied:

Not sure I understand the answer. Box.net does appear to support WebDav in that I've been using that feature to sync calendars between iCal on the Mac and Box.net - a process that requires WebDav.

....and they said:

Theoretically, its possible to connect to www.box.net/dav . However since the feature is currently unsupported we cannot offer instructions or give any support.

Sort of surprising to me. I recall the main reason I became interested in Box.net was their marketing around "supporting WebDAV for syncing iCal calendars"

Anyway - bottom line is that it doesn't appear to be a legitimate option to try and sync with Box.net.

I love that. Read as:

"It doesn't exist but if it does we're not going to help you with it in any way."

And they want me to pay for their service?

Stuff like this makes me wish Amazon supported WebDAV with S3, it's a good very inexpensive host.

I wish I still knew guys that worked for hosting cos., I had a colo box set up for a while that I would have opened accts for this like tomben has.