The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Updating with Synced data - sloooow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm very happy with the progress so far in sync reliability since the app store launch (changes in both ends were made I know).

I'm a bit perplexed why it takes so long to "update with synced data" My understanding is the data has already been downloaded over the network and is in memory on the phone and at this point the app is just doing its diff using some algorithm to traverse the current copy and the synced copy.

Why on a phone powerful enough to do realtime 3D graphics and complex HTML page rendering, does this take so long for what is ultimately pretty un-complex data? (15-20 seconds?) (That may not seem like long, but after "loading" the app code, opening the document, it adds up when I'm just trying to quickly capture a task.

My assumption is that from what I gather of the history of Omni development being heavy on programming frameworks and object orientation is that there is a lot of object abstraction in the data, and that this creating and destroying of objects is slowing down the comparison of the data.

Is there hope for some optimization here? :o

-P

I too think OmniFocus on the iPhone is "slow". It honestly keeps me from using it much. If this is going to be the primary capture device when I am away from my computer, then it needs to work faster than I do. I feel I am waiting for it to finish something more than I actually use it.

I am using the latest version from iTunes, and I even ran the database clean-up script after installing the latest version.

Thanks

Hello,

I've also found that updating with synced data is very slow (30-45 seconds). But what is more puzzling is that OF "crashes" on my iPod touch during this sync. Sometimes when it comes up again the synced data appears and I see changes made on OF on my mac. Sometimes no changes appear.

Omnifocus is a great application and *most* of the time it is very convenient and works smoothly on my iPod touch. But the syncing problem has been getting gradually worse. I would be grateful for any additional insight. I've run the coalesce DB script, restored OF on my iPod touch but the sync speed issue is still a problem.

Thanks,

Will

While updating with the synched data, my iPhone app just stopped at "Loading...". It is still that way.

This is not efficient or productive.

Yeah, OF on the iPhone has been really slow for me too. I mostly notice it when loading the app or when syncing, but I see it just bouncing around from screen to screen, too.

A couple weeks ago, I wiped my sync database on MobileMe and re-created it from scratch per some instructions somewhere in the forum. Ran great for a couple days but has been getting gradually slower after that. (Yeah, this was after the recent release (1.3?) or whatever that was supposed to have the speed improvements.)

I really haven't been using OF on my iPhone that much. It's just too slow to be practical for most situations. 5 seconds of loading time is way too long if I'm interrupting a conversation to capture a thought. :(

Last edited by jhogan; 2008-09-05 at 02:06 AM..

I too am finding the sync part on the iphone app very slow when I have been busy all day in OF on the mac.
Just took about 2-3 minutes with the sync progress bar on the screen.
I only modified about 20 items today in OF on the mac.
For now I am having to disable autosync in the preferences and then run it manually when I want it.
Otherwise as other mentioned when I quickly jump on it to add an item it hangs on the sync.
Please speed it up.

Russ

I had this same problem, until I ran the apple script in the Syncing forum. Solved the problem for me.

Yeah, I've experienced exactly the same. Sppeded up after doing the 'sync trick', but went downhill again quickly after that.
I completely second wtmonroe, jhogan and Russ-ST24

- Sloooooowww loading (up to 1 minute)
- Even worse syncing (sometimes with an error, sometimes it just crashes, and very occassionaly it really syncs, after synctimes over 2 minutes.... :(

Last edited by arnoutdrenthel; 2008-09-17 at 01:59 AM..

I have to add my annoyance to this issue aswell!

I upgraded specifically to the iphone for omnifocus, although I only sync once a day, it's irritating having to keep nudging the screen to stop the phone from sleeping whilst the omnifocus database is synced

It takes 7 minutes to sync to the 'mobileme' database, using a fast wifi connection. I can't understand why it's sooo slow for such a small amount of data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keypix View Post
I have to add my annoyance to this issue aswell!

I upgraded specifically to the iphone for omnifocus, although I only sync once a day, it's irritating having to keep nudging the screen to stop the phone from sleeping whilst the omnifocus database is synced

It takes 7 minutes to sync to the 'mobileme' database, using a fast wifi connection. I can't understand why it's sooo slow for such a small amount of data.
One good thing: You don't need to keep the screen from going blank. The phone does not really sleep, it just blanks out the screen. OF continues to work with the blank screen!