The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF + Typinator + QS = Ninja Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just wanted to share a technique that is working really well for me. After reading the Creating Flow with OmniFocus book, I made a number of changes. My Daily Review was working but slow when it came to reviewing other perspectives like Waiting, Due, and Start. I tried the trick of putting the OF url in the notes of the action. That was just too slow.

In my flow, I have perspectives for Plan (all projects), Select (showing active and available for choosing Most Import Tasks or MITs), Starting (upcoming), Due, and Core (my today list of MITs). Multiply these by 2 because I have a set of these for Personal and a set for Work. Too many to create meaningful keyboard shortcuts.

I had a little flash after reading some of Bret Terpstra's work with TextExpander. What I did was this:

Created a group in Typinator of OmniFocus URLs. In this list, the shortcut "ofpcore" would expand to omnifocus:///perspective/Personal%20Core. The result is easy to remember, much more so than some key combo.

Now I can open my perspectives using QuickSilver with a sequence like this:

1. ⌘Space to launch QuickSilver
2. Type a period . to switch QS into text mode
3. Type my snippet abbreviation like "ofpcore", Typinator will expand it
4. Hit tab to move to the next pane of QS
5. Start typing "Open URL" until QS recognizes it
6. Hit enter to open the perspective.

for me to launch my personal core the keystrokes are:

⌘Space.ofpcore⇥o↩

I have most all of my perspectives set to open in a new window. That way when processing my daily list, I can quickly open the Waiting, review it, ⌘W to close it, and check off the Review Waiting action in my Daily Review perspective, move to the next perspective to review.

I tried TextExpander with this scenario but it would not expand in QS. I emailed the TE tech support and a bug report was filed. No ETA for a fix.

The biggest downside of this is having to update the expansions when the perspectives are renamed. The plus is it's wicked fast to open perspectives and I never need to open the Perspectives view unless adjusting their settings.

Last edited by dhm; 2011-04-30 at 06:07 AM..

i like what you've done here... i've achieved something similar by just adding all the OF URLs as bookmarks in Safari. Then I can use QS to just call the bookmarks instead - saves me having to use Typinator or TextExpander.