The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New user question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just purchased OmniOutliner for the iPad and am now looking at the Mac version, but I have a question.

Perhaps this is my newness to the application, but I was trying to have a three-column document with several elements under each column. Here's my question: Is there way to move individual elements without the entire line throughout the three columns moving?

My purpose is a three different story lines (hence, the columns). However, I would like to be able to move the individual elements of the story up or down inside the columns.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. (I apologize if the answer lies elsewhere in the forum. I did a quick search, but could not find any results.)

No, the basic building block in OmniOutliner is an entire row spanning all of the columns. If you sort one column, the others move as well. One could write an AppleScript for the Mac version to move individual cells around as you propose, but that doesn't help you if you've only got the iPad version (and this should not be construed as an offer to write said script, just an opinion that it is feasible). You could of course do your manipulation via cut/copy and paste, though it might get a bit tedious...

I wonder if a spreadsheet might be a better fit for this task?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I wonder if a spreadsheet might be a better fit for this task?
Thanks WHPalmer. I was wondering the same thing. Any hopes of something such as this occurring in OO 4?