The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filter out on-hold projects in Quick Entry Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know if it's possible to filter the project selection list to filter out projects that are on-hold in the Quick Entry window?

The app will only exclude completed or dropped projects. The thinking here is that you may not be working on the project right now, but you may still need to add steps to the project. Leaving those projects out would make it more likely that those items wouldn't get recorded and the actions wouldn't get done...

Thanks, Brian. I disagree that leaving out projects on-hold would make it more likely that the items wouldn't get recorded because you still have the Inbox, but that's ok - it's really not that big of a deal to see these projects in the list, and I suppose that if one has a huge number of projects on-hold, one has other issues. :-)

PBenz,

I think you'll find the inconvenience of having on-hold projects in the list rapidly vanishes when you start using the quick match feature instead of scrolling through the list in the usual fashion. Just type a few letters (first letter of each word in the project name is often a good choice) and the list shrinks with each letter typed to just the projects (or contexts) which match against those letters. The matching letters don't have to be contiguous, just in the order in which they appear across the name. I find that I can cut the list down to the point where my target is in the top few choices with only 3 or 4 keystrokes, even though I've got some 900 projects in my database (152 on hold, so I have real-life exposure to this issue!) Scrolling through the list is rather inconvenient but the quick match works so well that I don't even have to keep my sidebar in any sort of convenient order for searching.

whpalmer4, very true! That will definitely be a huge time saver for those of us with lots of projects such as yourself. Even with only a handful of projects, I use this method on the Mac all the time - I just overlooked it on the iPad for some reason.