The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Observations on sp3 release Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Scott, thank you for pinning the sp3 release note at the top of this forum. That was handy since the download wasn't working when I first tried.

I think it would be a good idea to mention the sp3 release on the mailing list. One of the problems of the forum is that I check it when I have a chance to spend some time here. I didn't notice that sp3 was available until I wandered over here. I would have started using it earlier if I had known.

But maybe you've already sent an email announcement to the longtime and valuable testers who would rather not use yet another forum.

Finally, is sp3 based on the same WebKit12177 as sp1? The release notes suggest that the WebKit being used wasn't updated.

We have not yet moved to a new WebKit so continue testing against WebKit12177 if you see problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethkatz17582
[...]I think it would be a good idea to mention the sp3 release on the mailing list. [...]
I agree, but I would be just as happy if the "Check for updates..." mechanism would be working.

Perhaps I'll become accustomed to checking into the forums as I am with email (although I doubt that).

And I do not miss the off-topic banter that the list occasionally degenerates to.

Below is a note I just sent to omniweb5@omnigroup.com
Hello,

I've been away for a while and came back to find the most welcomed news of SPs.

I'm blown away by its speed, and overall, I'm very happy with it.

I found something for which I saw no mention in the known issues list:

After several hours (to a day). I re-opened a workspace having 5 browsers with 2 or 3 tabs each.

Two of the browsers opened with a page which was not the last viewed... in other words, I had to hit "back" to see the page as I left it.

(I just switched to OW to check if it would fail for me now, and it crashed [OG #64346])

Keep up the good work, folks. This is very encouraging. The work you've been doing shows.

Regards,
Maurice

ps I mentioned in an earlier crash report that Crash Catcher doesn't kill OW... I've got to go to the Apple menu to force quit.

:p

I've been trying out sp3 for a little while, and boy is it speedy. Rendering is v. quick and on par with 5.1. I haven't noticed much difference in text yet but haven't really looked too much.

One bug I've noticed is the loading status bar. Values are reversed ("loading 100 of 15 items" or have negative values ("loaded 100 of 15 items with -8 errors").

where do you Omnipeople want bugs sent? :) Is this forum alright?

edit: egads, no zoom editor yet! :eek:

But I bet is coming later. One of best features!

You should have received an email from Scott Maier on Mar 10 with the subject "Welcome to OmniWeb 5.5 Sneaky Peeks." That should answer some of your questions.

nope, didnt get that.

Please continue to send bug reports to <omniweb@omnigroup.com> or by using the send feedback link in the OmniWeb help menu.

Feel free to bring up and discuss bugs you see in the forums though.

Thanks troy.

I noticed after visiting a few sites, what the release notes said about the text rendering being less robust than on ATSUI. The text is a bit fuzzier in 5.5, not as sharp. On some sites, like NYT.com, the link colors are a bright aqua blue, too.