The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning email into actions: send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsueco View Post
It would be great if your new service respected the reply-to email address.
Feature request written up; thanks!

Brian,

Am I doing something incorrectly if the returned email doesn't process as a link in Google Apps Email? I get the response from Omni, and it looks the same as the response I get from my personal address in Apple Mail, but via Safari the Google Apps email doesn't have a clickable link in it.

Thanks for continuing to make this program even better!

Great start!
Unfortunately does not seem to work properly yet with non ASCII UTF-8 characters in email neither in header nor in content:
e.g.
Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Gr=C3=A5_Fugger_silikon?=

e.g. in cotent:
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=utf-8

Gr=C3=A5 Fugger silikon

(=C3=A5 is 'ĺ')

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmund View Post
Great start!
Unfortunately does not seem to work properly yet with non ASCII UTF-8 characters in email neither in header nor in content:
e.g.
Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Gr=C3=A5_Fugger_silikon?=

e.g. in cotent:
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=utf-8

Gr=C3=A5 Fugger silikon

(=C3=A5 is 'ĺ')
Thanks for reporting this! The send-to-omnifocus email address should be able to properly decode headers and message text now (such as the Unicode text in your example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Quote:
It would be great if your new service respected the reply-to email address.
Feature request written up; thanks!
Be careful you don't wind up with a SPAM remailer here. We don't want spammers sending us action items to buy fake Rolex's or worse. After all, once it's an action item in OF it HAS to be done, right? :)

In fact this comment still applies even without the reply-to field since spammers can forge the from address. Not sure how you're going to protect this service.

Quote:
It would be great if your new service respected the reply-to email address. That way I could let others send me action items by mailing send-to-omnifocus and setting reply-to to my email address.
We intentionally don't let people redirect messages to other email addresses because that would make it far too easy for people to start spamming people through our server (as GrumpyDave points out).

Instead, someone can use Send-to-OmniFocus to get a nicely formatted message from us, then forward that resulting message on to someone else by hand. (That's simpler for most people than setting the Reply-To header anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDave View Post
Be careful you don't wind up with a SPAM remailer here. We don't want spammers sending us action items to buy fake Rolex's or worse. After all, once it's an action item in OF it HAS to be done, right? :)
Well, the email service doesn't actually add it to your OmniFocus database, it just makes it easy for you to add it yourself. If someone sends you some Rolex spam, I hope you won't tap on the "Send to OmniFocus" link.

But you do bring up a good topic…

Quote:
In fact this comment still applies even without the reply-to field since spammers can forge the from address. Not sure how you're going to protect this service.
Yes, I'm concerned about abuse too: that's part of why it's still a beta service, and why the signature at the bottom of each message says who we think sent the message and how the recipient can contact us if they have any questions or feedback. (If you ever see something sent to you which wasn't sent by you, please let us know as soon as possible!)

One thing we can do is to check to make sure the From and Sender addresses match and respect any Sender Policy Framework DNS records associated with the sending domain so that people can protect themselves from spam which claims to be from themselves. (We could add our own list of what IP addresses are allowed to send to what people, but that seems no better and less general than implementing SPF.)

If you have any other ideas, please let us know! (And again, please do let us know if you ever receive something you didn't send yourself.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWart View Post
I get the response from Omni, and it looks the same as the response I get from my personal address in Apple Mail, but via Safari the Google Apps email doesn't have a clickable link in it.
I see the same thing when I look at my MobileMe address through the web interface. We've noticed that mail-in-a-browser systems seem to have more trouble with custom URL schemes (in this case, "omnifocus:") than native mail apps do.

I'm not enough of an engineer to know if this is a bug or a feature, honestly. Maybe browsers are more cautious with custom link types to protect their customers from malware?

In any case, we're aware of the limitation, and hope to have a solution in the future that doesn't suffer from it. For the time being, though, the workaround is to browse those messages in Mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWart View Post
Thanks for continuing to make this program even better!
Thanks! I will be sure to pass your gratitude along to those what did the actual work, I'm just the guy that talks about it on the forums. ;-)

Yes this works well. The problem is that if I had a friend who accidentally forwarded his Spanking Weekly email for instance, would you be able to read it!?

Presumably that "unrecorded auto-reply" text at the bottom of the message means that they don't keep the email around for browsing. Ken's comment on a similar thread seems to back that up:

Quote:
(In fact, our send-to-omnifocus autoresponder never even records a copy of the message, it just processes it in memory and immediately starts sending the reply. Of course, if the place we're trying to send the message back to isn't accepting email there could still be a delay before it's delivered, and during that delay the message would be temporarily stored on our server's disk.)