The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting in Context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm not sure I understand the sort order in Context mode. Nor can I find a way to change it.

Just for the record, I'd like to sort by due date, with items due today at the top.

Are you talking about the sorting of the contexts or the sorting of items within the context?

The contexts can be sorted by tapping the Context name and selecting "Move".

I don't know if the items within the context can be organized by due date, although that would seem a logical feature.

The Forecast seems like the best way to do this, but I don't know if it allows further sorting by context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whshep View Post
I'm not sure I understand the sort order in Context mode. Nor can I find a way to change it.

Just for the record, I'd like to sort by due date, with items due today at the top.
Context mode sorts first by the ordering of your contexts and second by the order of the actions in the main project outline.

Do you have OF on the desktop? If so, create a context mode perspective there sorted and grouped as you want. Sync that to the iPad and you're in business. You can star the perspective in the perspective view on the iPad and that perspective will appear in the main view.

Curt

Not sure I understand what Curt has posted. There should be a simple way to set the sort order within the iPad version. I understand exactly what whshep has asked. When I look at a context, it is not sorted by date due, and while there is the new forecast view, those do not list contexts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Context mode sorts first by the ordering of your contexts and second by the order of the actions in the main project outline.
This is what doesn't make sense to me—why would I want the Contexts sorting to be dependent on the Projects sorting? The point is to have two different ways of looking at the same info. I'm not going to move my Projects around so I can see it the way I want it in Contexts.

I note that the iPhone app seems to sort items in Context by due date, not Project order. Unless of course it arranges Projects differently.

Quote:
Do you have OF on the desktop? If so, create a context mode perspective there sorted and grouped as you want.
This works as advertised, so it serves as a workaround. The view is slightly different, and of course you can't quickly change it to view a different set of actions. I would prefer to have more robust sorting in the Contexts view.

I'll be submitting this via email as a feature request. I suggest everyone else who would like to see this feature do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whshep View Post
This is what doesn't make sense to me—why would I want the Contexts sorting to be dependent on the Projects sorting? The point is to have two different ways of looking at the same info. I'm not going to move my Projects around so I can see it the way I want it in Contexts.
The idea is that the ordering of projects in project mode serves as a rough approximation of priority. So in context mode the most important items in each context appear at the top of the context. Note that I'm not saying anything about the quality of the design, I'm merely explaining how it works.

i think submitting a feature request for more sorting options is a great idea. It will be especially helpful for those not running the desktop app.

Personally, I keep about a dozen different perspectives in my sidebar. Sorting, grouping, and focus settings all carry over from the desktop. These perspectives are essentially saved selection and sorting options.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
The idea is that the ordering of projects in project mode serves as a rough approximation of priority. So in context mode the most important items in each context appear at the top of the context.
My working system is actually different. I keep projects in different folders, according to the larger project (a system I started in graduate school, with a different folder for each class; OF support staff tried to talk me into using projects for classes, and and items and sub-items for each class project, but that never worked). Within the folders, the projects are arranged more or less by creation date, since I always knew I could sort them in Context view, which is what I work from day-by-day.

So you see in any one Context, I could have items not only from different projects, but different folders (which serve as uber-Projects). To try to arrange them in Project view by order of importance would be impossible.

Quote:
Note that I'm not saying anything about the quality of the design, I'm merely explaining how it works.
The genius of OF Mac is that you can do the kind of thing I did and make it work, even when it was intended to be used some other way. That's what we pay the big bucks for.

Since we've paid a lot for OF iPad, we expect similar versatility.

Quote:
I keep about a dozen different perspectives in my sidebar. Sorting, grouping, and focus settings all carry over from the desktop. These perspectives are essentially saved selection and sorting options.
Clever. And a good workaround for people like me who want more robust sorting.

But I still want more robust sorting!

The "prioritization" Curt speaks of isn't mandatory — it's just a behavior the app presents so that you can take advantage of it if it suits you. If you have enough projects that they don't all fit in the sidebar, moving the active ones to the top also serves as a sort of cache. But again, absolutely nothing requires you do make use of this behavior.

Yes, why doesn't the iPad version sort items within each context the same way as it does on the iPhone – by date?

Well it is May 2011 and I just got the OF iPad app and the sorting issue in context view is still not fixed AND it is inconsistent with the OF iPhone implementation.

When I go to the email contexts view I have three single action list items that is not due until 1 week or 2 weeks from now shown FIRST, and then BELOW them my big rocks action list which is due tomorrow shown OF is smart enough to list them in Orange color that it is approaching the due date. What is the logic behind this inconsistency. This makes GTD in context view very difficult.

I don't want to create a perspective for every context I have to get this right. ( I have the desktop and iPhone app as well. On iPhone context view sorting is always sorted by due date. In desktop app the context view there is a a variety of sorting options obviously). I have screenshots to show the inconsistency as well.