The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Removing detail from layout Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello
I am trying out OmniGraffle Pro - have tried to create a diagram similar to a org chart..... As you add more detail the diagram gets pretty complex - is there a way of hiding children that are way down the diagram? As an example - CEO - Director - Manager - Staff. If I want to keep the entire format put only show CEO and directors - is there a way of doing this?
Thanks
Rekrap

If you've got OmniGraffle Professional 5 it has subgraphs, where you can take entire branches and group as a subgraph from the Arrange Menu, and be able to label the subgraph as a whole if desired and expand and collapse as desired.

Hope that's what you're looking for here,

Cheers dude - can I assume that I create sub-sub-graphs? Am trying to create a large scale diagram which users can then drill down in to...

Yes, just select the objects you want to be in the subgraph, and then go to the Arrange Menu --> Group as Subgraph, and you should be set.

There are also Toolbar buttons for the same functionality.

Done this - however one small issue. In a sub-sub-graph (!!??) when it collapses it leaves the connecting lines and does not collapse them to one neat box. Am I missing a setting here...?

When selecting the objects to create a sub-graph, be sure to select the connections between the objects as well.

For example, given the graph:

A -> B -> C

To create a sub-graph that includes B and C, select quoted:

A -> "B -> C"

If B and C are selected individually:

A -> "B" -> "C"

the connector will not collapse with the rest of the sub-graph.