The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

basic features Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hi,

I am preparing a lecture on a trial of Omni Graffle Pro 4.1.2 UB.

I hate PowerPoint, I like Keynote but it is too limited, now I give Graffle a try. I am sorry to say that option a) I am stupid or b) Graffle is stupid.

Sry I have to start kind of a frenzy, but I am really frustrated!

Here are my problems:

- snap to grid does not work .. it is activated, but neither points or lines snap to grid. It does not help to activate automatic positioning and it does not help to activate all objects and then to hit Arrange->Grid->Position to grid .

- I don't find something like borders, I want all of my content to stay in an area that is my document minus 1 cm at the top/right/bottom/left. I tried to position guidelines like that, but I cannot set the guideline to be at X=1cm or 1cm from the right.

- I have three palettes on the right, they are vertically attached. I do something in the palette in the middle. I chose a different icon in the upmost palette, the content is longer, it overlaps the palette underneath. I can't work in that palette anymore.

- Making a new document I can't set some size for it, for example 800x600 pixels.

- I want to fill my workspace with a grey gradient. I draw a rectangle to fill it later with a gradient. I give the rectangle the size of my workspace because the document/workspace borders are not magnetic.

- Rulers are displayed at the top and left, why not elsewhere? My rulers show only 0cm, 10cm, 20cm etc. Why nothing in between?

- I am in my working space, in the bottom right corner I activate fit to window. I resize the window, the document stays the same size. Why?

- When I type text in a text field it does not appear instantaniosly, this is horrible.

- None of the windows is magnetic, some windows dock, but not all. Why?

- I want a new guideline. I drag a new one into the document. The new guideline does not snap to grid.

- The program does not cover the whole screen making content that shines through from behind very confusing. In other words: The palettes and windows to not fit the screen.

- The float tool bar, your most important item can be overlapped by other palettes. It also does not auto-align vertically and it is not magnetic/docks/can-be-integrated everywhere etc.

- I activate two elements. Why is there no button to give them the same X or Y or X/Y coordinates instantly?

- There are no pre-defined workspaces, like "all windows open, widescreen", "most importand windows open, normal screen" etc.

- responsibility feels sloppy. I have an iMac C2D but drawing a simple rectangle feels sloppy. I am missing the vocabulary to describe it, but it just doesn't feel right. If I resize a form it does so slowly and so on.

- I have a number like "2.". I want a circle around it, ok, understood how to do it. If I increase the number inside why does the circle not increase? How do I make the circle perfectly round without defining its size to 2cmx2cm? If I make the number bold why does the circle not get bold? Why is the number not perfectly in the middle?

- I want to create some text. I draw a field of text and start writing. Sadly enough, the text field does not snap to grid. I hit tabulator to make a larger space between letters .. the text field is exited and the next element chosen .. ARGH

- I create some text with a new text field. I can increase it's size horizontally but not vertically. But I need a snap-to-grid vertical size to vertically adjust the text withing the textfield, don't I?

- I draw a text field to enter some text. Why is the appropiate palette not automacally chosen? Every program on the planet does that but Graffle doesn't?

- I start a new text field with text in it. Why does it get the default settings and not the settings I recently used? How to I apple a stile to it that I recently created, like "Arial, 24pt, bold"? If I activate my text and then go to the text tool in the floating palette I find my stile there but can not apply it

- Why does Graffle not come with a huge list of pre-defined elements? Like "Arial, 24pt, bold", "Lucida Grande, 18pt, bold", "number with circle around it".

- I have created this with circles, lines and magnets:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3227/grafflewn0.jpg
How to I adjust this, make it correct?

- I have that pattern in the screenshot. I want a shadowy clowd in the background behind it. I draw a new cloud shape, adjust size, but it behing it. I uncheck border and filling. Now I want to set a shadow. Shadow can not be applied because it needs a filling and border. Why?

- I have shape. I see it can be filled with a pattern of multiple lines. So far so good. I want to fill it with a pattern of black lines and transparent color. How do I set the transparency?

- Hotkeys don't work. I am in text edit mode, I hit V for the selector, it jumps there for a second and goes back to the text tool.

Sry but all this makes it impossible to use that program, especially the workspace organisation + snap to grid problem!

Last edited by tiloprobst; 2007-01-14 at 05:10 PM..

just curious - did you get any replies on your issues? I read most of them and found them.... umm... detailed....