The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

GTD is not for everyone. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Well, if you haven't used the Mac version then you probably don't have any perspectives built which do this, but it is entirely possible (and very useful) to have a context mode view where actions aren't grouped by context, but rather by date (due, start, created, changed, completed), project, or flag status. I probably don't want to have multiple copies of that action in a row!

Now, in that view, or in forecast view, I don't actually see the context unless I tap on the action to open the editor (making seeing multiple copies even less useful!). What about in project view, where we'll presumably just see the single action? Do we get a list of all of the assigned contexts? If you have a due (or start) date more than a few days out, combined with context names longer than "Home", you might need to spend all of your time in portrait mode to see all of the text :-)

Then there's the question of whether one views multiple contexts as joined by AND or OR. If I need to talk to Joe in the lab to perform some experiment, @Joe and @Lab are obvious contexts for the action, but I can't do the experiment with him unless we're both in the lab, seeing him in the conference room is no good, just as being in the lab alone is no good. On the other hand, if I need to buy a bottle of contact lens solution, @Grocery store and @Drug store are both valid choices, and either one will do. How do I distinguish between the two cases when I look at the context view? It seems to me that multiple contexts implies building up a search engine and UI which will handle boolean expressions so that I can actually quickly find all the things I wanted to do with Joe the next time we were both in the lab.

Sure, there are probably workable solutions for these issues. It just seems like a lot of work to get to a situation where you're forced to look in more places unless you are very careful, and the task list looks bigger and more confusing. But the payoff is....uh, er, um, what was it again? :-)