The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New User - first impressions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi Everyone,

I am a new user of OF.

I'm not really asking any specific questions here but just saying what I think about the software and seeing if other people have the same impression of its its just me.

While OF is very good, it is most definitely not the most GTD compliant software I have used. The main reason I am using it is due to it's sync capabilities and that is the best I have come across - I actually bought a 2nd hand iPod touch just for this, and also commandeered my girlfriends macbook (I bought her an air for xmas). I was a Windows user and OF has actually converted me to a mac and windows user.

I have been using GTD for about 4 years now and have tested a *lot* of software. A lot of other software has a better Android or iPhone app, or a better desktop app (not talking mac specific here), or a perfect web interface (check out gtd-php) that through my experience are much more flexible as well as gtd compliant than OF, and in a lot of cases more solid and less 'beta', but NOTHING has the great sync capabilities that OF has while allowing your data to be 'yours' on your own server or desktop, which is what I need.

Where I think OF needs to improve to become better suited to the real world are:

1. Multiple context for single actions (workarounds are really not acceptable here)
2. On hold or waiting on for actions (as opposed to projects),
3. Clean up the UI (e.g. When I have a full inbox, I have to start processing at the top rather than the bottom otherwise the 'project' and 'context' drop downs go off screen, this is obviously a 'beta' problem).

There are a few other things but these are the main ones that can easily be show stoppers for a lot of people.

I'm sure the OF team have spent considerable time analyzing what the market wants, but I think that for the price OF costs, as well as the price of the ipad and iphone clients, it would be extremely easy for a competitor to come in and do simple things like this to improve it and steal the market (as has happened in other niche markets, e.g. Trados). Luckily for OF this hasn't happened to them (yet) but with the popularity of GTD growing its only a matter of time before it does. OF is currently the best for a lot of people, but only by a hair length due to the flaws of other systems. My message is mainly that I think OF is great, but please *keep up* the good work and not relax.

Last edited by gazhayes; 2011-01-24 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Incorrect name for gtd-php