The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I just don't understand leveling and <100% resources Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Running 1.6.2 beta 1.

I have entered all 175 tasks, and have assigned them to resources, but I can't get leveling to work unless each of the resources is available at 100%. But that isn't the case.

I, for example, should only be booked at 70% available, since I have other management/admin/fluff overhead, and can only be a developer 70% of the time.

So if I estimate a task at 7 hrs and am at 70% utilization, I expect to complete that task in 10 hrs.

Nuh-uh. When I enter all the developer's availability and hit "Level", all the tasks remain where they are, and I just get 175 red stop signs saying "resource overload".

There are no other constraints in this project. No fixed end dates. No fixed start dates even. Just individual tasks assigned to individual developers.

The only way I can make the gazillion stop signs go away is to change all the developer resources back to 100%.

What main concept am I missing here? Itsa driving me nuts!

If you use the Help->Send Feedback command to compose a message, it will offer to include a copy of your document (suitably altered to remove any sensitive information). If you then drag the attached document to the desktop, you could post it here and we could see if the problem is that you're doing something wrong.

It's hard to be sure without seeing your file, but my guess is that you've laid out your tasks, assigned the resources and then gone and changed the availability numbers, right? When you do that, you end up with over-allocated resources because the assignment includes the availability of the resource at the time the assignment was done. You can fix this by selecting all the tasks assigned to a resource, opening the Task: Assignments inspector, unchecking the Assigned Amount box and then using the Assignment toolbar button to do the assignment again with the current availability fraction.

Your assumption was right. I entered the tasks (175 of them), assigned the resources, and then changed the resource availability numbers.

The proposed fix will do the trick, but it doesn't really help, because I have to reassign the 175 tasks. I need to "rethink" and "redo" the decisions I spent a better part of an afternoon completing.

To say it a different way, I don't understand why OmniPlan doesn't allow me to change a resource availability after it has been assigned. That stuff happens all the time in real life! A developer may be available full time for a while, then something changes and now he is only available half time. I'd like OmniPlan to to say "OK then, that will kick out your ship date by 4 weeks".

I agree it would be good to be able to change the resource availability after it has been assigned. It would be even better if you could specify the availability for a date range. I have situations where I know someone is only available for 3 weeks at 60%, but then will return to 80% afterwards

I'd just like to add a vote to handling this issue; it just bit me. I can't always predict ahead of time a resource's availability.

When you guys mention resource availability do you mean resource Units and Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslade View Post
I agree it would be good to be able to change the resource availability after it has been assigned. It would be even better if you could specify the availability for a date range. I have situations where I know someone is only available for 3 weeks at 60%, but then will return to 80% afterwards
Have you thought about modifying that person's work schedule to reflect their (presumably) reduced hours during those three weeks?