The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

main window disappeared-any suggestions? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OF crashed and only my inspectors window is in view.

What happens if you choose File > New Window, or hit command-N?

i got it. i had to hit "view toolbar". "new window" didn't do anything. its pretty weird. every so often my OF crashes and my main toolbar window (i guess that's what the main window is called) disappears.

My OF restarted again today and main window disappeared. I don't mind doing the extra work by making the selection of "view toolbar" but I have noticed another problem. I can not create a "new window". That 'new window' seems to be loading somewhere out of my view. Any suggestions on what my solution may be?

I'd suggest deleting your OmniFocus preferences file. Quit OmniFocus before doing this. Then drag the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist to your desktop. Relaunch OF and see if everything is OK. If so, you can delete the copy of the .plist on your desktop.

(If you've customized the preferences in OF, you may want to take screen captures of the prefs. so you can easily restore them. I use Cmd-Shift-4 to take simple screen captures like that all the time.)

I'd be a bit concerned about OF crashing regularly. It's rock solid for me, and I run it constantly. What version are you running? Are you sending in your crash reports?

Curt

that worked great. Thanks Curt. I send all my crash reports from my iphone but I don't know know how from the desktop OF. OF asks me to restart the program so changes can be viewed so maybe I am not using the right verbage by saying it 'crashed'. however, that seems to be where my viewing pane is getting screwing up-during this phase.

also, on a different note. The Mac Mail application seems to be running slow and hanging while trying to quickly navigate throughout the app. I've cleaned up a lot of my mail so it should be running quicker but its quite the opposite. Would my newly installed mailtag, act-on, and omni's add-on be the cause of this? Or is it just because I am so use to Entourage and that was just a much quicker application? I just started using Mail because of all the add-ons omni and indev has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jka33331 View Post
that worked great. Thanks Curt. I send all my crash reports from my iphone but I don't know know how from the desktop OF. OF asks me to restart the program so changes can be viewed so maybe I am not using the right verbage by saying it 'crashed'. however, that seems to be where my viewing pane is getting screwing up-during this phase.
Ah, it sounds like you aren't crashing at all. The desktop app has a very convenient crash reporting facility (assuming you've got Apple's Mail application configured) that brings up a big dialog box with a bomb with a burning fuse, you can't miss it :-)

OF is asking to reopen the database, which looks a lot like the program restarting (all the windows disappear, etc.) but isn't actually a crash. This doesn't explain why you don't get a window, however...it would be interesting to see if the behavior continues now that you've elided your old preferences file. Perhaps it got corrupted and in the process remembered the window as being in a location outside the bounds of your screen. If this happens again, look at the window menu and see if it creates another OmniFocus window when you do File->New Window; it should show up there even if it is off the bounds of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jka33331 View Post
also, on a different note. The Mac Mail application seems to be running slow and hanging while trying to quickly navigate throughout the app. I've cleaned up a lot of my mail so it should be running quicker but its quite the opposite. Would my newly installed mailtag, act-on, and omni's add-on be the cause of this? Or is it just because I am so use to Entourage and that was just a much quicker application? I just started using Mail because of all the add-ons omni and indev has.
I haven't used Entourage, so can't compare speeds. I find Mail to be quite snappy, and I have the same set of plug-ins as you. In Mail you might try Mailbox --> Rebuild for each of your mailboxes/folders in the sidebar. The rebuilding can be quite slow, and Mail is unresponsive while it rebuilds. But after the rebuild is done, Mail generally is better behaved. (This whole rebuild tap dance isn't generally necessary, unless you've deleted/moved a metric boatload of messages recently.)

Curt

When I have this issue, it does create a new window however I can't see it

hey, curt. yea, i've moved over 4k messages. I brought my inbox to zero by archiving the mail as per merlin's advise. what exactly will rebuilding the mailbox's do?