The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Templates vs. Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't understand the benefit of saving a project, and its settings, as a template. Why would I not want to just save the project, and its settings, as a project? Then I could open up that project and do a "save as" to make it another unique project. I'm assuming by saving it as a unique project I still get the unique ID to avoid synching problems. I'm wondering if I'm missing something about the additional value of a template.

thanks!

Templates are simply a matter of convenience. They will be right there in the File -> New from Template menu, saving you a couple steps. You can pick any one of them to be your default template, which will be used when you hit cmd-n (even faster). You don't have to remember where you kept your template projects, and you won't accidentally modify your template and save when you meant to Save As, blowing away your good starting state.

OmniPlan 2.3 improves the document template preferences a little, telling you something about the template settings.

-Tom

Makes sense. I'm finding that templates can only be saved to the templates folder. Which is convenient, but really, I want to create a template that can exist out on a network so that other PM's can open up a file with the appropriate file settings already setup. So I can I assign where I want a particular template to be saved or can it only be saved as a template in the templates folder? Or I guess my real question is, how can I create a "New From Template" project file using a template that isn't within the templates folder?

Being unable to put templates on a shared network volume is a bit of a limitation. OmniPlan 2.3 is sandboxed, and under sandboxing we would not be able to open the template files without asking the user to select them in an open panel, which would be a pretty clunky experience. So no, you can't do that.

Instead, open the file and use File -> Save As Template…