The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF iPhone HTML Export Script Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdtDelta View Post
No, sorry I didn't realize you had updated it.

Ok, so I got the new version and ran the sync without errors. But now I have a little weird issue. I use 1Password on my machine, and sync that with my iPhone. It looks like your script is overwriting that entry in my Safari bookmarks (they both have an address that starts with data:text/html). I can get it back by syncing 1Password again, so it's just a FIFO sort of thing. Is there any way to seperate two bookmarks that use the same data:text/html URL?
Right now: no.
My script will take the first url starting with 'data:text/html' and replace it with the OF export. Not a perfect solution I know and I think I'll replace it with something that checks the bookmark's name as well so it can support multiple data-bookmarks (like 1password's)

When I run rb-appscript in terminal I get the following error:

Last login: Tue Nov 20 10:47:36 on ttys000
TeallMac:~ teall$ sudo gem install rb-appscript
Password:
Need to update 13 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
complete
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

ruby extconf.rb install rb-appscript
can't find header files for ruby.

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0/gem_make.out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teall View Post
When I run rb-appscript in terminal I get the following error:

Last login: Tue Nov 20 10:47:36 on ttys000
TeallMac:~ teall$ sudo gem install rb-appscript
Password:
Need to update 13 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
complete
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

ruby extconf.rb install rb-appscript
can't find header files for ruby.

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0/gem_make.out
Have you installed Apple Developer Tools?

Yes, I installed Developer Tools from my Leopard DVD.

Last edited by Teall; 2007-11-22 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Double post

Everyone can sync their address books,
Here's a quick idea...

An applescript that makes a contact with the name Omni Focus.
Then, in the notes of that contact make a list of all the tasks categorized by context with "o"s for bullets. Like this

BEING A CONSUMER
o eat hamburger
o buy a mall
o eat hotdog

then, when you're out and about, you can ex them off like so...

BEING A CONSUMER
o eat hamburger
x buy a mall
o eat hotdog

When you sync your address book and run the applescript again, it checks for "x"s at the beginning of lines and checks them off in OF. if it sees new "o"s it puts them in the inbox

That would take no extra stuff besides the script and it would work pretty simply

Last edited by scot; 2007-11-23 at 05:27 AM..

Or what about having the contact name = context? You could have a v-card for every context.

One nice benefit would be that this would be a start toward integrating to-do functions with contacts.

A quick note on ruby paths. If, like me, you use macports for ruby, then you'll need to change the first line of OFfline.rb from "#!/usr/bin/env ruby" to something like "#!/opt/local/bin/ruby" or whatever your ruby path is. From the terminal, type "which ruby" to find the correct path.

Thanks for making this great script.

Actually, I was using macports as well on Tiger but I've symlinked my/usr/bin/ruby to the macport version in /opt so all my scripts would use the macports version. Then the shebang line should work since env ruby would point to your macports version.

Anyway, if it doesn't work then `which ruby` will help you find where your ruby is.

Instead of creating a bookmark from OF, is it possible to send the link as an email to myself? I sync my iPhone with a different computer and do not have .mac to sync my bookmarks. If the link can be sent to an email account, I can access it on the iPhone from the mail text.

Thanks for a great tool.

I'm in the middle of some other work but it wouldn't bee too hard to embed the link into an email if you'd like to give it a try