The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Setting up synching with time capsule but no internet routing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I have a mac pro and ipod touch and want to set up synching in my office environment. However, we have no wireless router.

Someone has now lent me a time capsule until we get our own wireless router (which could take months). However, I don't want to set the time capsule up as a router connected to the internet, because it's a complicated process that involves registering the device, approval process, faceless IT dept. etc. So, I am wondering whether I can set up the time capsule to just network my mac pro to my ipod touch, for broadcasting the omnifocus database?

Kr
Glitz

Yes, you can do that, but doesn't your MacPro have WiFi built-in? If the only need for connectivity for the iPod touch is syncing OmniFocus between the two, you can simply set up an ad hoc network from the MacPro with no other equipment needed. Turn on the WiFi network from Networks in System Preferences and select Create Network from the WiFi menu. Configure Bonjour sync in OmniFocus. No need to explain to the IT dept why you need another Ethernet port installed, either.

No, for some reason it doesn't have wi-fi...

So great, it's worked

What I did is:
Connected the time capsule to the mac pro via ethernet.
Set up a wireless network (but no internet).

Connected to the new wireless network with my ipod touch in settings.

I tried using a mobileme trial account, couldn't get that working. But it worked via Bonjour. Got the incompatible database message, but it was no prob because my database on the mac pro was blank, so I could simply replace it.

Hopefully it'll keep working ok.

Ta'
Glitz