The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Maximum Number of Actions in a Project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I tried searching for an answer to this question but never found anything.
Is there a maximum number of actions that will sync over to the iPhone for a single project?

The reason I am asking this is that I just created a new project in OmniFocus on my Mac which has 293 actions (they are simple one-step actions). Its a list of DVD titles that I am currently converting to my AppleTV using Handbrake. When I've completed ripping a DVD and tested it on the AppleTV, I tick it off on my iPhone as "Completed".

The problem is, I seem to be missing quite a few actions/DVD's from what I have on my Mac. I came to the conclusion that there's maybe a maximum number of actions that you can create in a single project. I have 293 actions on my Mac, and only 238 on the iPhone.

Can anyone verify if this is so?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by IceWind; 2009-11-30 at 04:07 AM..

I just created a project with 399 actions (the numbers 1-399) and synced it to my iPod without difficulty or loss. This suggests to me that there isn't a fixed limit that you are encountering. Are you doing the same sort of display in both places? I would use the Search function on the home page in OmniFocus to search for one of the "missing" items and see if it turns up or not. I'd also try syncing both Mac and iPhone one more time (in that order) if the missing data isn't revealed in the search.

Hi whpalmer4, Thanks for the help. I done what you suggested and the results are as follows:

I have, for example the DVD titled "300" listed in Projects with "Any Status" selected in the Projects view on my Mac (it's currently active and not completed), but it's not listed in the Projects view on my iPhone with the setting "In Projects, Show: ALL" selected in the OF preferences on iPhone. I also tried searching from the Search function on OF main screen on iPhone and no results found for "300". These tests were performed after I done a full sync on MacBook then on iPhone. The sync definitely worked, as it reduced the number of Projects, Actions and zip files after completing.

The above is just an example of 1 missing DVD... I have a descrepency of about 70 actions between iPhone and Mac.

Any other help/suggestions would be great.

At this point, I think your best bet is to contact the support ninjas via Help->Send Feedback or telephone (1-800-315-OMNI in the US, or 1-206-523-4152 international).

I actually wouldn't use Omnifocus in this way. I would instead create a spreadsheet with all 300 DVDs with a Complete column. I would then just have one Next Action saying "Continue ripping DVD with Godfather", then I'd work down the list on the spreadsheet until I was tired and place a new next action with whatever DVD is next. It took me a while to realize this, but the next actions are supposed to be bookmarks into your project, so you can pick up where you last left off. You don't want to have every detail about a project on your lists, just enough to pick up from where you left off the last time.