The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF Mail Rule ↔ Mail Drop Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi ,

After testing a little I prefer the Mail Rule (to create OF actions) because:

Mail Rule:
1. It's fast, appearing almost immediately in the OF UI.
2. with the :: @ etc markers, the Task will be at the right Project.

3. Drawback: Sometimes the actions are not processed, as the case today even after a fresh start of the Mac in the morning; first after OF restart it worked.

Mail Drop:
3. It seems very reliable, see above point 3.

5. Drawback: the auspicious :: @ etc markers are of no use,
you have to edit the task afterwards, put it manually into the correct Project, add Context, dates etc.

So this is the gist of what I found, if someone can chime in, it would be very helpful.

with best regards,
Omar K N
(Stockholm, Sweden)

Hi ,

Mail Rule:

3. Drawback: Sometimes the actions are not processed, as the case today even after a fresh start of the Mac in the morning; first after OF restart it worked.

Mail Drop:

you have to edit the task afterwards, put it manually into the correct Project, add Context, dates etc.

So this is the gist of what I found, if someone can chime in, it would be very helpful.

with best regards,
Omar K N
(Stockholm, Sweden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarKN View Post
Hi ,

Mail Rule:

Mail Drop:

with best regards,
Omar K N
(Stockholm, Sweden)
I would suggest browsing the forum on OmniFocus Mail Drop as many users have brought up your item (5) concern with the OmniFocus Mail Drop service. http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

I have a few comments to offer here:

OmniFocus Mail Clip-O-Tron 3000:
1. Email processing requires a Mac (with the mail app open)
2. Email to come from personal email address with specific subject required for processing email
3. Processing email includes email in notes with a link to email
4. Processing "formatted" email can add project, context, date, notes, etc… to the newly created task
OmniFocus Mail Drop:
5. Email process through always on 24/7 service
6. User specific OmniFocus Mail Drop email for processing email
7. Processing email includes email in notes with NO link to email
8. Processing "formatted" email is NOT possible
My thoughts.
  • Each service can process email; items (1) and (5). One method requires the user to have limited processing or to be running a Mac 24/7 for "always on" processing.
  • Processing from personal email vs. omni designated email; items (2) and (6). I prefer having items sent to an address rather than from an address. This means I can utilize other services such as IFTTT in my workflows.
  • Links to task email; items (3) and (7). This does not effect me as much as I thought it would. I have long ago lost interest in links to emails, as they do not work on iOS devices. This limitation did not allow me to view information from my device if I "cleaned up" the notes to just include the link. I have preferred to keep the contents of the email over the link in my current workflows.
  • Processing "formatted" email; items (4) and (8). I do not care to have non-single action list items automatically processed. The item can only be added to the top level of a project and I would need to find and address these inconsistencies throughout; this is less efficient than adding projects to the Inbox and manually processing from there. The additional feature of processing "formatted" emails is planned in a future implementation of the OmniFocus Mail Drop service.

Overall the benefits of cross device, webapp, and processing availability favor the OmniFocus Mail Drop service in my workflows. I think Omni Group is going in the correct direction with this service and I have been seeing less and less reason to rely on the OmniFocus Mail Clip-O-Tron 3000 in my person workflows. The ability to have emails processed essentially "on the go" with no hardware requirement running at home eclipses any disadvantages of processing project, context, etc... information. Besides, as I said above, task placement in a multi-level project is troubling. Additionally, Omni Group has already identified user requests for "formatted" email processing as a future addition to the service.

Currently one must weigh how the functions of these services effect their personal workflow to complete tasks. For me that is the OmniFocus Mail Drop service.

Thank you Dale -

very informative & highlighting the advantages of Mail Drop.

FWIW: what is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
… other services such as IFTTT
?

with best regards,
Omar K N
(Stockholm, Sweden)

IFTTT is a service that lets you create powerful connections with one simple statement:

If This Then That.

https://ifttt.com