The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.5 Wish List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
60) The ability to set energy level required for an action. This might be a radio button set in the inspector (high, med, low) but would probably be most useful as a simple boolean. Could be similar to the "flag" - a quick click in the action row to indicate that this action requires minimal brain activity to complete. Then in context mode, the available actions could be filtered such that only the low-energy (or high energy) actions are shown.

David Allen talks about having this no-brain list on p. 194 of GTD: "I recommend that you always keep an inventory of things that need to be done that require very little mental or creative horsepower. When you're in one of those low-energy states, do them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I think something like this might have already been requested, but I can't spot it on a quick look:

56) A calendar view where you can see what actions are due (and for the poster above) or completed on that date or on a selection of dates.

Admittedly, this is getting into project planning mode, rather than following the GTD philosophy, but it is how some of us are using it.
I'd like to second this suggestion. I have a number of tasks with specific due dates and I would love to have an "at a glance" view, where all tasks with specific due dates show up on a calendar.

I currently use a saved perspective sorted by due date (so I have groupings like "Due Today", "Due tomorrow", etc) but that doesn't have the same feel as a visual calendar.

Aaron - while you can print in b&w, it doesn't help to differentiate between e.g. red coloured and orange coloured entries as they look near identical. I think Erik probably wants a b&w printing feature that will e.g. mark overdue and due entries differently (e.g. a x and a tick perhaps) so that you can easily differentiate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tex View Post
I'd like to second this suggestion. I have a number of tasks with specific due dates and I would love to have an "at a glance" view, where all tasks with specific due dates show up on a calendar.

I currently use a saved perspective sorted by due date (so I have groupings like "Due Today", "Due tomorrow", etc) but that doesn't have the same feel as a visual calendar.
What would be great with this feature would be the ability to drag and drop an entry or groups of entries from one date to another, thus updating the due date in bulk.

I'm still waiting for the ability to set the number of backups kept. I need to remove these manually periodically as the number of automatic backups keeps growing and growing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape View Post
I'm still waiting for the ability to set the number of backups kept. I need to remove these manually periodically as the number of automatic backups keeps growing and growing...
I use Hazel, which does this and much more. Mine is set to delete backups older than 8 days old. As I backup twice per week this should cover all eventualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbreath View Post
I use Hazel, which does this and much more. Mine is set to delete backups older than 8 days old. As I backup twice per week this should cover all eventualities.
I use Hazel too, and it does 95% of what I would like. But still, it would be helpful if OmniFocus monitored the number of backups in your backup directory and handled the deletion of old copies, allowing you to set how many to keep.

With Hazel, you can't set it to always leave a certain number of copies (without the help of AppleScript). It deletes things strictly by how old the file is. So if you went on holiday and didn't launch OmniFocus for over 8 days, you could come back and have no backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I use Hazel too, and it does 95% of what I would like. But still, it would be helpful if OmniFocus monitored the number of backups in your backup directory and handled the deletion of old copies, allowing you to set how many to keep.

With Hazel, you can't set it to always leave a certain number of copies (without the help of AppleScript). It deletes things strictly by how old the file is. So if you went on holiday and didn't launch OmniFocus for over 8 days, you could come back and have no backups.
You are absolutely right except I am one of those that takes the computer on holiday with me!! Technically Hazel moves the item to the Trash so it is still available (as long as you haven't got automatic trash emptying turned on, but I take your point.

I am sure that OG will sort this matter out in a subsequent install. It is a glaring error and not the sort of thing that people would expect from the company.

Last edited by Dogsbreath; 2008-03-08 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: To correct something

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
14) Similarly, if you have nested actions, the parent should adopt the earliest start and latest due dates of the children.
if all childs are checked complete, the aunt should be automatically checked complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by brest View Post
if all childs are checked complete, the aunt should be automatically checked complete
I think you mean parent, not aunt. This question has been debated many times on the forums. Many of us do not want automatic completion, because it presumes that you have already defined all the relevant children of that parent. I, for one, do not plan that obsessively. Instead, during my daily and weekly reviews, I examine action groups or projects with no remaining actions and decide whether they are truly done, in which case I mark them complete, or whether I need to add another action to them. If they were automatically marked complete, I would miss that important stage in my planning.

One compromise that has been suggested would be to create a new option for projects and action groups that would allow the user to specify whether they should automatically be marked complete when all children were marked complete. As long as the user could specify which action was the default, I would be happy with that.