The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

delete completed items for a snappier OF? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to get OF to be snappier ie. quicker to work in. I've rebuilt the dB and also did the fix mentioned on these forums about turning Bonjour on and then off again which reduced the size of the OF dB from over 5MB down to 1.1MB. Both these things helped a lot.

However I was wondering if OF would be gain some much needed speed if I also deleted all the completed items. I use a lot of repeating tasks and there are a lot of standard completed items now that I've been using OF for nearly 2 years.

Can anyone shed light on this for me:
- Will it make OF faster?
- How do you delete completed items & projects?

Thanks for any help here.

If you have enough completed items, getting rid of them will definitely make it snappier.

I would suggest using the File->Move Old Data to Archive feature if there's any possibility you might want to look at the old data again. If you are really sure that you don't want the stuff any longer (or want to prune some of it before archiving the rest), you can bring up the view bar, go to projects mode, select Completed projects, and pick and choose from the projects in the sidebar for deletion. If you want to delete completed actions from ongoing projects, go to context mode, All Contexts, Group by Project, Sort by Project, Completed Actions, Any Duration, Any Flag State, and you should be able to see the candidates.

Thanks very much. I've chosen to move the old data - not because I'll ever need to see any of it again but just because it's much easier to do!

Perhaps Omni should consider a menu option below the "move" option, just to delete this stuff - it would work like the "move" option (with a date you fill in).

Thanks again for your help.