The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Location Aware Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be nice if I could setup which contexts were available in specific places, and then GPS could automatically select which contexts are currently available to me. For example, if I could setup a place called "Home" where the contexts "Phone, Internet, Wife, and Home" were always available, and then those contexts would automatically be selected when OmniFocus determined that I was at the "Home" location. Likewise, I could setup other places that I frequent (work, airports, hotels, in-law's house, etc) and the relevant contexts could automatically be selected when I was there as well.

Have you fooled around with the locations button? Bottom of screen, to the right of the home button? To assign a location to a context, select contexts then edit, select context, assign location.

Hi Apowers,

Location-based alerts are on the way, see this thread.

My experience of location-based alerts in other Apps hasn't been brilliant. If they use GPS my battery runs flat in a few hours and if they use cell/wifi the results have been wildly inaccurate, triggering responses when I'm miles away from the intended target.

I'm hoping that Omni's implementation will prove to be the exception! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
Have you fooled around with the locations button? Bottom of screen, to the right of the home button?
Yes, although I don't think that does what I'm looking for since the relationship between contexts and locations is 1:1.

I was hoping to be able to assign one context to multiple locations -- for example, since my phone is available at both my work and my home. I was also hoping to assign multiple contexts to a single location, since I have access to computers, phone, my wife, etc while I'm at home.

Maybe there's something I'm missing?

Some of what you're looking for here is available by clever use of the search operators that the Google maps interface (that's where we get our location info from) allows.

Check out this blog post and this forum thread for some options. Expanding OmniFocus' location awareness is one of the things we're working on; unsure of the status of the 'multiple locations for a context' idea. If you email the support ninjas, they can add attach you to the existing request or add a new one as appropriate. (One of the metrics we use when planning our work is the number of customers requesting a given change...)

Hope this helps!

Why not simply build perspectives for the frequently frequented locations, then bring up the corresponding one when you arrive?

The notion that OF would only show me the contexts containing actions on which I could do some work seems to presume that I'm only using the iPhone for executing actions, not planning. But I am going to want to look at the actions available at my next location so I know what I'll be doing, what I might need to bring with me, etc.