The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reusable Icons / Text in Quick Entry Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I saw a tweet yesterday to the OmniFocus team where someone was asking for “informational icons” to be added to certain tasks (specifically to denote the emails clipped from Mail.app).

It occurred to me that I could quickly script a sort of “heads-up display” which allows you to append often-used icons or text directly into the Quick Entry window. This seemed like it could be a fun little script project — and one that people could tweak in some creative ways (or even add to existing OmniFocus AppleScripts).

So I rolled up my sleeves and came up with this…
OmniFocus – Icons in Quick Entry Window

The script presents you with a simple, three-button dialog box . Each button has an icon and a description. Press the button for the icon you want and it is added to the beginning of the Tasks’s name in the Quick Entry window.

Personally, I think running this from a keyboard launcher makes the most sense. It’s fast and, in the spirit of the Quick Entry Window, it keeps you focused — quite literally — on the task at hand. (Alfred users can also download an precompiled Alfred extension that I made for the script)

More details about the script are here
-- and I hope you enjoy!

With Kind Regards,

Justin Lancy
@Veritrope
http://veritrope.com/

Hi Justin,

sounds like in interesting idea. Question I have, how does the outcome look like in OF? Can you by chance provide a screenshot of the process?

Thanks in advance!

Final result looks like this:

And on the iPhone app:

It's a simple little doo-dad: A sort of TextExpander for the Quick Entry window, built for non-AppleScripters. They can have fast access to reusable bits of text, icons, and (on 10.7) emoji wherever they clip their OF items from.

For my own workflow, I'd approach this kind of thing differently... but, you know, I'm nerdy that way. ;-)