The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help needed with +omnifocus in mail mesages Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I thought I understood the method of adding +omnifocus to my mails intended to transfer as actions in OF. It seems straightforward enough, but my server keeps returning an "unknown address" failure.

I have the address as:

my.address+omnifocus@mac.com

Am I doing something wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixalis View Post
I thought I understood the method of adding +omnifocus to my mails intended to transfer as actions in OF. It seems straightforward enough, but my server keeps returning an "unknown address" failure.

I have the address as:

my.address+omnifocus@mac.com

Mail sent to my.address@mac.com at the same time as to the my.address+omnifocus@mac.com gets through successfully? Your server should only care about what is on the RHS of the @ for delivering the mail, which makes me suspicious that perhaps your server is having trouble looking up the address for mac.com.

Can you send a copy of the bounced message showing all the headers? I just tried sending myself test messages at my.mac.acct+omnifocus@mac.com from both mac.com and yahoo.com and both now appear as actions in my inbox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixalis View Post
That looks right to me. That's how I use it with my .Mac address.

One thing that confused me at first was I thought the registered email address needed to be myaddress+omnifocus@mac.com. So I tried creating a .Mac email address alias in that format. But the system would tell me that I couldn't use the plus symbol. So I gave up on it and used the "--" method, which always worked well for me.

It wasn't until some time later that I learned that you don't need to have an email address registered with the "+omnifocus". Instead, just use your existing address and append the "+omnifocus" string in your mail application; no special addresses or configuration is needed. Apparently, most email servers ignore any characters after the plus sign and just deliver to the username that precedes it.

Once I tried that, it worked great with .Mac and I switched from using the "--" method and continue using "+omnifocus" to today. Although, I imagine I'll stop using it sometime around July 11th. :)

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-07-05 at 09:56 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Mail sent to my.address@mac.com at the same time as to the my.address+omnifocus@mac.com gets through successfully? Your server should only care about what is on the RHS of the @ for delivering the mail, which makes me suspicious that perhaps your server is having trouble looking up the address for mac.com.

Can you send a copy of the bounced message showing all the headers? I just tried sending myself test messages at my.mac.acct+omnifocus@mac.com from both mac.com and yahoo.com and both now appear as actions in my inbox...
Thanks. I am attaching the bounce text. I used Mac as an example for simplicity, but I was actually using a second address @gmx. The simply -- message works with this address but it doesn't like the +omnifocus. I have created an address book extry called Omni which uses the my.address+omnifocus format address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
That looks right to me. That's how I use it with my .Mac address.

Once I tried that, it worked great with .Mac and I switched from using the "--" method and continue using "+omnifocus" to today. Although, I imagine I'll stop using it sometime around July 11th. :)

-Dennis
Hi Dennis, yes, I will also not have much use for the email system after 3GDay. Unfortunately for me, I have to wait until late August when I return to base before I can lay hands on my new iPhone. In the meantime, I have an iPod Touch that will give me 90% of the experience!

Well, you said you were attaching the bounce text, but I don't see it...

In any case, I think this turns largely on just who is reporting the error. If it is the ISP your mail program delivers the message to for further delivery, then I suspect it has nothing to do with the "+omnifocus" bit, unless your ISP has a mail system that doesn't follow the recommendations of RFC3696 (namely, don't look at the left hand side of an email address if delivering to another machine). If it is the mail server that handles the email destination, then perhaps they don't allow the "+string" option in addresses and you won't be able to use it with that mail account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Well, you said you were attaching the bounce text, but I don't see it...

In any case, I think this turns largely on just who is reporting the error. If it is the ISP your mail program delivers the message to for further delivery, then I suspect it has nothing to do with the "+omnifocus" bit, unless your ISP has a mail system that doesn't follow the recommendations of RFC3696 (namely, don't look at the left hand side of an email address if delivering to another machine). If it is the mail server that handles the email destination, then perhaps they don't allow the "+string" option in addresses and you won't be able to use it with that mail account.
Hmm... I thought I had attached the file. I've just tried again and, although I've selected it, it's not showing up. Maybe something stupid I've done. Anyway, I suspect the problem is simply that @GMX doesn't support this format of email addresses. I've tried several test messages and they are all bounced. I will try using my @mac address instead and see if that works as you say.

After you selected the file, you did click on "upload file" or whatever it is to the right of where you selected the file, right? If you just skipped to the close window button at the bottom, nothing was attached. I've noticed that the file selection popup window for the forum often comes up with a window size that is too small to show that "upload file" button, so maybe you had the same problem and didn't see the button. If you click the "Go Advanced" button below the message text entry box, you can preview your message and verify that the attached text shows up as an attachment. Or just paste it into the message itself...

Thanks again. I think maybe that was the problem--I didn't see the upload button. As it happens, though, I have now solved the problem. The address format for OF works with @mac but not at @gmx. Gmx must be one of the service providers not accepting the format. I thought it would be preferable to send mail from Mac to another account, but it works just as well sending to my Mac account. Many thanks for your help with this.

Hi,

Can someone make some really dummy proof instructions to link mail.app and OmniFocus? Maybe even a video? I read the other posts on the forum and well.......

Thanks!
GrMagi