The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to delete completed items? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Kind of a silly question, but I'd really like to know how to delete completed items.

I have a view that shows all projects, all items, and I know how to filter that for completed items so that OF shows only deleted items.

However, when I do a delete command, I get the following query:

"If you delete the selected items, the following hidden items will also be deleted. To hide the selected items without losing their contents, consider changing their status to Dropped or Completed instead of deleting them. 21 Actions. Cancel? Delete?"

Can someone at OG please explain to me how to deal with this? Thanks.

This message means that you're going to delete something that isn't visible. If you filter so that you don't see all items, but attempt to delete the project or folder containing some items not visible in your view, you'll get that warning. My recommendation is that you adjust your view so you don't get that error message, to make sure you only delete what you really wanted to delete!

Why do you want to delete your completed projects? There's something to be said for having the record, and if you don't want to look at them, use Remaining or Active as the sidebar filter instead of All. Also, in the 1.1 versions, there's a File->Move Old Data to Archive... command which allows you to migrate older stuff into another file to keep the main file svelte and correspondingly efficient.