The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drag emails to OmniFocus Dock Icon to create link Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been thinking about a feature but not sure how helpful it would be.

When processing emails, I would like to drag an email to the OF dock icon. My hope is this would create a new inbox task item, along with a link to the email.
I could then archive the email.
When I get to that task, I can click on a link in the task that opens the email.

Is this something that would be helpful for people?

I'd use it for sure.

I agree. OmniFocus' Dock icon should accepted any dragged object that contains sufficient information to create an attachment to a new Inbox task (or optionally appear in the Quick Entry window). This already works for dragged text snippets, so extending it to work with dragged emails from Apple Mail or files and folders from the Finder only seems natural.

-Dennis

I would use this feature quite often. It could be analogous to the data detectors in Leopard that allow easy creation of iCal events from Mail.

Doesn't the Clip-O-Tron 3000 do all of this for you now, or are you looking to get the same functionality of the CoT by dragging and dropping the messages?

Yeah, this can already be done with the Clip-O-Tron. What I'm looking for, personally, is just more useful behaviors for the Dock icon as a drag target.

-Dennis

I go back and forth on this.

I'm more of a keyboard user, and use the clip o tron for emails constantly.

However, one problem I have is, I have to select some text in an email in order to clip it. Often, I want to clip the entire email. Not sure how to do this with the keyboard.

Every so often, a strange urge comes over me to drag things. That's where this came from for me.

If the clip o tron clipped an email without me needed to highlight text first, I would seldom use the dragging.

Keyboard is faster and more efficient.
Dragging feels more physical, labor intensive, but also allows me to feel like I am dragging physical things around within the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
I have to select some text in an email in order to clip it. Often, I want to clip the entire email. Not sure how to do this with the keyboard.
You should be able to just select the desired email(s) in Apple Mail's list view and hit your clipping shortcut. There's no need to select text in the actual email itself if that's what you mean.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
You should be able to just select the desired email(s) in Apple Mail's list view and hit your clipping shortcut. There's no need to select text in the actual email itself if that's what you mean.
For that to work, you have to first go to the OF preferences, Clippings tab, and install the Clip-o-tron. Selection-based clipping just uses Mac OS services, so doesn't require the Clip-o-tron. (I know you know that, Dennis, but wanted it documented in the thread.)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
For that to work, you have to first go to the OF preferences, Clippings tab, and install the Clip-o-tron.
Good point, Curt. Thanks for adding that clarification.

-Dennis