The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Power Point export Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I was wondering if there is any way I can export directly to powerpoint. AT the moment I am using omnigraffle to generate my drawing, exporting in viso and opening the file with concept draw, tidying up and then exporting to powerpoint. Why bother? I have lots of non mac people who don't have access to omnigraffle, but to a person they do have powerpoint.

Regards
George

You could probably automate this process via AppleScript, but if you exported from OmniGraffle to a more generic image format like PDF, PNG, etc, would they be able to view that? That seems like it might be simpler...

Thanks for that, I apologise for not being very clear, my difficulty is being able to send out a document that can be edited by my customers who are not mac users, and don't usually own visio. Powerpoint seems acceptable. I know I can draw in conceptdraw and export to PP, or indeed draw in powerpoint, however I prefer using omnigraffle because for my needs it is a much slicker interface. I mostly do process maps and product breakdowns etc.

Thanks

It depends on whether you need your custs to (a) modify the ppt in general (add notes, change wording, etc) or (b) specifically to change the graphics that you create using OmniGraffle.

For (a), I simply use Keynote. After you have the graphic completed in OG; copy; switch windows to your Keynote doc; paste; align, re-size, etc; save; export to ppt. Totally seamless, and it holds the resolution, etc, very nicely.

For (b), I would say forget about it. Even if they had Visio. You run into the lowest common denominator problem, and it is not worth it. For my custs, they are quite happy to let me remain 100% responsible for the drawings, and communicate change requests via phone or email.

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-10-23 at 07:21 AM..

Thank you for your time in responding and your thoughts. I agree about the drawing issues and my preference is to be in control.

I still think it would be a useful feature, but otherwise it it near impossible to complain about OG.

Regards