The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Accidently closing tabs?!? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone else have a problem with accidently closing tabs?

When ever I'm using my MBP with the track-pad I'll seriously close 5 to 10 in a session. It drives me crazy because I like to archive what I'm going to read in tabs then do so over time.

When ever I'm on my iMac with a mouse I've never had a problem.

today I've tried to get myself into the habit of using command + up & down keys.

but its a hard habit to break.

I disable trackpad clicking... otherwise I get random clicks all the time. Especially on flights.

Ditto... if anyone could tell me how to do the same on a PC laptop (HP) I would be eternally grateful (and I have looked in every control panel I can think of...) as it constantly selects things when I don't want it to.

However, it is worth pointing out that myself and others have often accidentally double-clicked tabs (thus causing them to open in a new window) when using the trackpad button on a PowerBook, so this isn't limited to unintentional double tapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Ditto... if anyone could tell me how to do the same on a PC laptop (HP) I would be eternally grateful (and I have looked in every control panel I can think of...) as it constantly selects things when I don't want it to.

However, it is worth pointing out that myself and others have often accidentally double-clicked tabs (thus causing them to open in a new window) when using the trackpad button on a PowerBook, so this isn't limited to unintentional double tapping.
I too have trackpad clicking permanently turned off ... I have a tremor, often quite marked, and trackpad clicking is disastrous. I am also one who regularly has problems with accidental double-clicking of tabs; I manage to do it even using a mouse.
I just regard these things as factors in my existence that I have to try to work out strategies to avoid--like turning off trackpad clicking--though they are a nuisance when they happen as they will do from time to time for me.
I am currently teaching myself to use a graphics tablet ... you can imagine what fun that is with shaky hands :)
Mark

This would be relatively easy to solve if the double-click (which is easy to do by mistake) was replaced by a triple click (which might still happen, but would be far less common a mistake to make).

No, a triple click is not the solution, as it is completely non-standard method for input. Most users are not people who want to find out how to do things, they don't want to customize their settings, they just want the software to work the way they expect. Anyone who had not read how to use the browser could not use this feature, and public computers where this action were needed frequently would require a special message alerting users that a triple click was the way to do it. The double click is so commonly used that people will try it when they explore a new piece of software, but this is not the case with a triple click.