The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tip and Feature Request for iPhone Email Task Adding Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is both a tip for OmniFocus users and a feature suggestion for the developers.

I've set up an interesting and efficient system for using my iPhone to add new tasks while I'm not at my desktop machine. I've created a contact entitled "OmniFocus" whose email address is simply my personal email address with the +omnifocus flag before the @ sign. When I'm out and about, I leave a blank email open with the recipient set to this OmniFocus contact and the email body focused, ready for my input. When I get ideas randomly, I simply unlock my phone and the keypad is awaiting my idea immediately. When I send the email, I then go through the process to bring a new, blank email up ready for my input again. This usually takes 5-8 seconds and gives me a moment to actually think of another thing on the top of my head I want to jot down. Until the OmniFocus iPhone app comes out, I think this approach is hugely valuable for all OmniFocus+iPhone users. :)

Now, to the developers: I've kept the default email signature of my iPhone "Sent from my iPhone." because I often have typos or am overly brief when writing actual emails to people on my iPhone. When I send an email to myself as a task, this signature text "Sent from my iPhone." is added as a task note. I think it'd be a simple and sensible feature to have the emails fetched from Mail.app stripped of this ending NSString because, in reality, many people still use it and it only clutters up the database or adds additional cleanup work later.

Would leave to hear feedback from OmniFocus users and its developers alike!

Jay Phillips
http://jicksta.com

When I'm in wifi areas, I use my Toodledo sync tool OFTD
http://groups.google.com/group/oftd

But that can be sorta slow on Edge, so I use the iPhone notes program to jot stuff down, and then email it to myself.

I title the note

:To Do List

and My sig also starts with a ":"

I then copied the mail action script and added my own custom function before it gets passed to OmniFocus that ignores lines that start with : and also allows two spaces on a line to be considered a new task.

Code:
--after this line:
--set theText to theSubject & return & content of theMessage
--add:
--customProcessText(theText)

on customProcessText(theText)
	set newText to ""
	set theLines to every paragraph of theText
	repeat with aLine in theLines
		if aLine begins with "  " then
			set newText to newText & "--" & (characters 3 thru -1 of aLine as string) & return
		else
			if aLine does not start with ":" then
				set newText to newText & (aLine as string) & return
			end if
		end if
	end repeat
	return newText
end customProcessText