The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Any chance of getting a side panel instead of an inspector window? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One of my other problems with the inspector is I have to keep opening it up to do just one simple thing - put things on hold (make them WAIT)

I wish some of the more common inspector functions could just be a pop-up selector or key command

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB View Post
One of my other problems with the inspector is I have to keep opening it up to do just one simple thing - put things on hold (make them WAIT)
Just right-click on the project in the sidebar to put it on hold.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Just right-click on the project in the sidebar to put it on hold.
Or right click on it in the main content area. There are several options available in that contextual menu.

-Dennis

Just to throw something in: when going from internal to external screen on a portable the main window follows the main screen but the palette stays where it is. That behaviour is maybe fine for Photoshop with *many* palettes but for OF I hate it. Wouldn't be a issue with a drawer … ;)

.....or with inline ;) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
The viewed columns are saved with the perspective. So once you have the columns you want, you can hide the view bar again, then take a snapshot of the perspective.
Yes I know, and that does the trick for me, but as you implied, it's a little strange that the column header is considered part of the view bar. Some might find it useful on it's own.

About those "application holes" that reveal files on the desktop.
I was doing the whole putting icons in special places on the desktop dance too for a while. It's impossible to work like that. If you save out a file to the desktop from e.g. photoshop you are using the Save As dialog which doesn't let you place the file with DnD, so it just ends up at the next available location. Bah!

I discovered a fantastic little trick which is really useful to me because I really dislike those magnetic exposé corners.

1. You are in an application; say OF. and want to drag a file from the desktop into it.
2. Reveal the desktop using exposé keyboard shortcut.
3. Drag the file from the desktop to the OF icon in the dock and press SPACE.
4. Boom! OF is revealed in all its glory and you can now drop your file into it.

I was jumping up and down when I found out about this one. :)

You can also just hover over the dock icon and have OF reactivate that way. Maybe you have cup of coffee in one hand and the mouse in the other, so can't get to the space bar ;) !!!!!!!

That's why I love this board!!! I have never had much use for expose until now! I drag many files into OF so this is a time-saver for sure.

MacBerry, my hover does not work as you say; the OF icon stays grayed-out. I tried having OF in various states, i.e., having an action active, or having a notes field open, but to no avail. Any ideas?

However, my thumb can stay on the trackpad while I hit the space bar at the same time so the coffee is safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colicoid View Post
About those "application holes" that reveal files on the desktop.
I was doing the whole putting icons in special places on the desktop dance too for a while. It's impossible to work like that. If you save out a file to the desktop from e.g. photoshop you are using the Save As dialog which doesn't let you place the file with DnD, so it just ends up at the next available location. Bah!
OK, maybe it presents some challenges, but impossible? I don't think it's impossible.

The gist of my argument is that, IMHO, it's better to have layered windows with some degree of visibility to other UI objects (icons, other windows, etc). More visibility is better. Some of the ways this can be achieved is by using a larger display, increasing your screen resolution, reducing the size of your windows, positioning items so they are all accessible at the same time, taking advantage of software features like Exposé and Spaces, etc. There are trade-offs to all of these options and none of them are a sure-fire win. To stack the odds in your favor, however, it's wise to take advantage of as many of these options as you can.

For me, full screen windows are antithetical to the modern, multi-window GUI. Full-screen windows represents the very technical limitations the computer usability industry struggled to solve decades ago. To go back to that paradigm is to disregard all those important advancements. But that's just me, and I do use fullscreen windows on occasion, but OmniFocus is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colicoid View Post
1. You are in an application; say OF. and want to drag a file from the desktop into it.
2. Reveal the desktop using exposé keyboard shortcut.
3. Drag the file from the desktop to the OF icon in the dock and press SPACE.
4. Boom! OF is revealed in all its glory and you can now drop your file into it.
In step #3, why not just hit the Exposé keyboard shortcut again to return to the app you were at? Wouldn't that be easier than dragging and pressing spacebar (which, incidentally, doesn't seem to be working here), especially since you finger is already yon the Exposé button?

-Dennis