The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In progress tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to be able to see a list of all in progress, starting, and due tasks for the current day. In forecast it only shows what is starting and what is due for each day but I would like to know that I should be working on that day too. I do not have the mac app - seems like this is something perspectives could do. Any suggestions? workarounds?

On the day a task starts, if you won't finish it, bump the start date to the next day. That way it will continue to be visible in the Forecast view the next day. There is a problem with this approach in that if the action in question is a repeating action, the dates for the next one will be altered. If you do this to a repeating action, you might make a note in the action title or note to remind yourself to put the next one right when you complete the current one.

Another approach would be to use a perspective that groups by start date, which would show you those items which have started but are not yet complete. Without a Mac, you'll have to contact the Omni support stff for their assistance in creating such a perspective.

Also on the Mac, I wrote a script which allows rescheduling the current event for a repeating task without disturbing future ones, but that isn't any use if you only have the iPad version of OmniFocus.

I use all of these approaches, but I tend not to adjust the dates on any but the most important as Forecast view would be hopelessly clogged with actions that could be started — I use start dates primarily to indicate that it is not possible or desirable to work on a task before the start date, not so much to schedule myself to work that task at a given date/time.