The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniGraffle Annoyances ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Now don't get me wrong, OmniGraffle is a great product and I love it, but it's not perfect, and there are a couple of things in it that sometimes make me bang my head on my desk...

1. Cannot create custom magnets on grid snap points. I do complex diagrams and often have boxes with lots of magnets. For neatness, I'd like to keep connectors on the grid but it's hard to do when I cannot align custom magnets to the grid. Instead I'm reduced to zooming in to 800% and getting as close as I can and praying that the connection line wont stray too far off vertical/horizontal to show a jagged line.

2. Switching Layers is Odd. This one KEEPS biting me. When I click on a layer icon the layer highlights, but of course this does NOT change the drawing layer (you must click on the pencil for that). It's far too easy to miss that pencil and just click the layer, and only after 15-20 minutes work do you notice all your work is in the WRONG layer (head on desk). In fact, i'm not even sure what the point of highlighting a layer icon means. What functionality depends on which layer is highlighted (regardless of where the pencil icon is)?

3. The Battle of Snaps. The snap/size to center and edges of other objects is really nice MOST of the time, but as a drawing gets crowded, it seems that every slight movement of an object hits against some snap or other. In these cases, it's nearly impossible just to drop something down that snaps to the grid, not other objects. Yes I can snap to grid afterwards, but it would be nice to have a key I could hold down (or a button in the UI) to ignore all that smart snapping and just go to the grid.

4. Delete magnets. I *always* forget how to do this when I've been away from OG for a while, and it's not really very intuitive (how would you guess to hold down Option and Click) and not very easy to find in online help either. Why can't I just select the magnet and hit the delete key?

--Tim