The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync failure for Office-iPhone-Home scenario Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OF Sync is not reliable.

Disaster of the day - made changes (mainly rescheduling due dates) on my laptop OF, sync'd. Did this a couple of times. Looked good and I thought things were uptodate and stable.

I have an iPhone sitting on my desk. But didn't pay too much attention to it. Sync'd once to bring it uptodate.

Just now, checked off a couple of more items on my laptop OF. And sync'd.

LOST ALL CHANGES! The laptop OF database has reverted to something close to what it was before I started this morning. Except, now I have duplicate entries for periodic items that I had earlier checked off.

I'll have to make all the changes again!

We're aware this is very frustrating, and are working on a solution. (OmniFocus 1.1 is still in beta.)

Meanwhile, following these best practices will eliminate some causes of these issues: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9164

I follow all of those best practices, religiously, and I still get the problem. If you've got repeating actions, those best practices are not sufficient.

I just constructed a test with a trivial OF database containing one repeating action (every 2 or 3 minutes), had both copies of OF running through the test, no sync communication errors, and it took only about 10 minutes for the two to get confused and have duplicate actions. I only manipulated the database on one side, the other one I just watched.

It really smells like the code to recognize an incoming action change from the sync is failing to match that change correctly against a change on the local copy when that change involves creation of a new instance of a repeating action. When it doesn't match, it keeps both. Logging why such comparisons failed during the sync might shed some light.

chidmf, if you look carefully, you may see that you can simply delete the completed actions which have seemingly come back to life. That's how my database is behaving, at least; your mileage may vary! Probably much easier to examine and repair the damage on the desktop.

OK last post - sync seems to be thoroughly broken - I can't even work with one pair anymore. Changes made on my office computer and reported to be sync'd to iDisk are not incorporated by iPhone OF at the end of the day.

This, even after reinstalling, at the start of the day, a backup database onto the office computer, syncing that (writing the local to iDisk), then installing that database on the iPhone (via the 'use local/remote version decision).

Oh well. I'm done. Put a fork in it.

--------------------------- good bye

Last edited by chidmf; 2008-08-06 at 04:36 PM..