The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can label text be curved along a line or path? [A: not yet, but a feat. req. is open] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniGroup,

I am a huge fan of your products, but am completely at a loss as to why text along a path has not been added.

It's been a request for several years, and is present in most programs.

Cowboy up and get it done already.

-Jazeel

I'm absolutely stunned Omni doesn't do text paths after all these years of people asking for it.

It's absolutely required for anybody doing complex presentations.

Come on, guys. Really?

What is the official means of filing a feature request?

Perhaps they have spent the time implementing features which even more people have asked for? Look at the dates on the recent posts to this thread and remember that there are a lot of copies of OG out there; when something comes up that is a real deal-breaker for many customers, the posts come at shorter intervals than half a year :-) I agree that it sucks to have a specific need that (relatively) few others have the good sense to also need and thus get largely ignored by the development schedule. On the other hand, if what you are requesting really is a popular request, it is hard to imagine that they will go off and do other things that don't have much support, unless they feel it is something important to the product and the customers haven't realized they need it yet.

To file an official request, or to ask a question and be guaranteed a response from someone at Omni, use Help->Send Feedback from within the app, or email OmniGraffle@omnigroup.com (the former is better if you are making a bug report or the like, as it includes license and version information in the subject line automatically, and I recall reading somewhere that messages so tagged get priority processing).

Hi,

Can I make text follow the outside curve of a circle object? This is a nice feature in fe Illustrator that I'd like to use in my drawings.

regards,

Mabbink, moving your post to an existing thread with the info you're looking for. I'll attach your forum post to the feature request we have open on this. Thanks!

(Folks reading this later will see both posts in the after-move thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Mabbink, moving your post to an existing thread with the info you're looking for. I'll attach your forum post to the feature request we have open on this. Thanks!

(Folks reading this later will see both posts in the after-move thread.)
thanks!

Here's a somewhat-tedious kludge:

See this thread about drawing a segmented circle:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=20691

Similarly, but using the adjustable-arc (not wedge) tool, draw a segmented circular arc with the desired angular extent of your text and radius slightly larger than your circle. Make as many segments as characters in your text. Put one character in each arc segment and set the text format to align-top. Remove the stroke from all of the segments and group them.

When you enter a character in a segment it will appear as if it's in a different one. Don't worry; that's not a real problem. Once you've finished the entry it will show up where it's supposed to.

One could almost certainly put all that into an Applescript.

Last edited by john.gersh; 2011-12-13 at 05:09 AM..