The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus crashes iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My OmniFocus crashes my iPhone about 2 or 3 times a week. Usually, it goes like this:

1) I haven't synced the phone in about 12-24 hours.
2) I open the application, it syncs for a while, then the app crashes.
3) I reopen the application, it syncs for a while, then the phone reboots.
4) I open the application, it syncs, and all is well...

I am syncing three systems (two Macs and my iPhone), with the Macs running OmniFocus all the time and so syncing regularly.

Is anyone else seeing anything like this? Suggestions?

(Yes, I've reported this to the Ninjas, too.)

Have you jailbroken your phone at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Have you jailbroken your phone at all?
No. Never.

The support ninjas will likely have more substantive help, but if the *phone* is crashing, the situation is more complex; the iPhone OS is designed such that the worst thing we can possibly do is crash our own app. If something is so deeply wrong that the whole phone goes down, that's pretty unusual.

It could be OmniFocus, could be a bad install of the OS, or even a hardware issue. If there's an Apple store near where you live, it may be worth having them take a look at the phone just to rule out the latter two possibilities.

Interesting. OmniFocus is the only application that does this with any regularity (in fact, I can't remember another application doing it, but my memory isn't what it used to be, which is why I use OmniFocus... !).

I will take the phone into an Apple store next week. In the meantime, OmniFocus does crash on the phone fairly regularly... is there a way to get a crash log or something like that for analysis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
Interesting. OmniFocus is the only application that does this with any regularity (in fact, I can't remember another application doing it, but my memory isn't what it used to be, which is why I use OmniFocus... !).

I will take the phone into an Apple store next week. In the meantime, OmniFocus does crash on the phone fairly regularly... is there a way to get a crash log or something like that for analysis?
When you dock your phone it syncs all crash logs back to your crash logs. They are located in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<Phone Name>/Application_Name_Phone_Name.crash

I don't know whether the Omni Group gets these crashes, but you could upload anything named OmniFocus-r107240_*.crash to the Omni Group's support folks? Better there than posting here, methinks ;-)

OF crashes everytime I try to add a photo. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Remedy, that's almost certainly not actually a crash - if the phone is running low on memory, it'll shut an application down if it asks for more than is available.

If I remember correctly, I could get this to happen if the iPod was playing and then I tried to take a photo in OmniFocus. Presumably, the OS, the iPod app, OmniFocus, and the Camera app all running at the same time wanted more RAM than the phone actually had available.

If you can regularly get it to happen in other circumstances, though, what I mentioned above isn't correct. Contact the support ninjas by mailing omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com.